Community
Hunting Gear Looking for a new treestand or a good set of binoculars? You've come to the right place.

GPS recommendation?

Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Spike

Default GPS recommendation?

Hey guys! New member here. I wouldv introduced myself however I didnt see a category for such. Glad to be a new member.

I was hoping to get some information on a handheld GPS.
I currently live in Missouri, and am a new hunter. I recently passed my hunting education course, and purchased my permits, and unfortunately don't know many hunters so I often end up hunting alone.
I have been hunting small game in the Weldon Springs Conservation area, and the first few times I went I was forced to just focus on learning the land so I did not get lost (used physical markers) and not coming across snakes which is counter intuitive to hunting squirrel as you are supposed to be quiet and look up constantly to do so. Unfortunately the area i was hunting butted up with a neighborhood and a land owner rudely approached me claiming he was upset that I was using a rifle (this is a shotgun/archery only area) I showed him my shotgun, and he warned me i was then getting too close even thought I checked the map and i was well within reasonable hunting location. My guess is he likes to run people off.
Anyway, because i hunt alone and i want to get further into the conservation area away from civilians with support. My budget for a GPS device is under $200.00 and I have been reading reviews on Garmin and Magellan for about a week now on amazon without being confident in a single one. Reviews for both complain about losing waypoints, burning through batteries, and satellite location issues. As well as not being accurate not just within 25 feet (which to me is acceptable) but inaccuracy within 75 feet. I just don't seem to understand. Is my budget just not high enough?
Can any of you recommend a product or shed some light on this?
Thank you.

Also forgive me for asking so, but what in the world is with the intrusive advertisements on this forum? Can I donate $ to not see these?

Last edited by BenelliSuperNova; 11-06-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:50 AM
Spike

Default GPS for a budget

I just purchased a Garmin Dakota 20 for under $200 and put the Garmin Hunt Map chip for my state in it and I love it. Tells me where I am and gives me boundries and property lines and tells me who owns what. It shows all the Management areas to hunt and just works like a plat map. I think it is a good little gps for the money.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Garmin .
Old 11-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am also looking for a new one. I have a 10 year old Garmin Vista. Looking for something with topo maps, color screen.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Spike

I tried several, fell in love with the Garmin 60csx, it got stolen, but when I could afford to replace it I did.
Only GPS I could afford that did not lose signal in the places I find myself.
They no longer make this model, but if I ever have to replace it, I'll get the new version (might even get the one with a radio)..
huntinggpsmaps with property owners info is awesome !!
Old 11-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Garmin is the top shelf of GPS.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Spike

I use the Garmin Oregon 600 and love it. It has a touch screen, easy to manipulate even with gloves on. Only two buttons which you can program for specific functions like setting waypoints and with the free basecamp software you can upload your favorite maps. Garmin sells plenty of 100k and 24k maps but you can get better maps for free. I like the fact that I can upload my satellite imagery and overlay my topo and trails.