Community
Hunting Gear Looking for a new treestand or a good set of binoculars? You've come to the right place.

Sitka Celsius bibs are in!! Help me dress the rest of the way!!

Old 12-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default Sitka Celsius bibs are in!! Help me dress the rest of the way!!

Guys I was reading about how good the Celsius line was. I seen a great deal on the bibs on camofire, so I bought me and wife a pair.

They came in today and I must say that I am a little dissapointed. They seem awefully thin to be very warm for stand sitting.

Are they just made with that much better technology? Or are they just overpriced?

I do like the fact that they are slim fitting and comfortable, but they don't fit the way I am used to insulated bibs fitting. I am accustomed to them fitting loosely and over my other clothes. I can get these over a base layer comfortably, but I don't know about a middle layer. It will be a little tight I think.

What does everyone suggest for a good base and middle layer to wear with these? I am also going to be in the market for a new jacket and boots.

I am sick of being cold when it is <35 degrees outside.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Spike

Okay well what do you suggest for just the jackets and boots? LOL

Do those boot cover things work very well? I have Lacrosse 800grams insulated boots now but my toes still freeze even when the nothing else on me gets cold. I need some good boots/socks!! Right now for socks all I wear is a Rocky brand wool/blend sock from walmart.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

You have to wear 2 layers of socks.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:02 AM
Spike

Complete Polypropylene Set - Black -- Barre Army/Navy Store Online Store Advanced Search Navigate: StoreFront / Thermal Underwear and Warm Clothing / Polypropylene Underwear, Union suits, etc. / Complete Polypropylene Set - Black < Previous Product Next Product > Complete Polypropylene Set - Black
Complete Polypropylene Set - Black Size: SMLXL2XL3XL4XL Price: $39.95 Ship To: yourself(add new) SKU: FPS -001
Summary

Complete Polypropylene Set - Black

The top, bottom and balaclava of this set is Military Expedition (Arctic) weight polypropylene and is the heaviest weight that we carry and has a soft fleece lining. The glove and sock liners are US made and come as a pair. Great for hunting, ice fishing, snowmobiling, etc.

Included in the set:
Black Polypro Zip-Collar top
Black Polypro Elastic waist bottoms
Black Polypro Balaclava (one size)
Black Polypro Glove liners (one size)
Black Polypro Sock liners (one size)
Details

Option SKU Price S $39.95 M $39.95 L $39.95 XL $39.95 2XL $42.95 3XL $44.95 4XL $46.95
Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 AM
Banned

You do NOT wear two pair of socks. That makes your feet sweat more, therefore your feet will get colder faster. I don't know what your funds are like but as far as boots go, the 1500gram Lacross boots are the best boots I have ever owned. I bought 10x Bibs 2 years ago and I hunt throughout the whole season, I wear a pair of thermals underneath and the bibs (along with a jacket, gloves and hat) and I have never got cold. Chilly? yes, but cold like you do now? No.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by OhioSlayer
You do NOT wear two pair of socks. That makes your feet sweat more, therefore your feet will get colder faster. I don't know what your funds are like but as far as boots go, the 1500gram Lacross boots are the best boots I have ever owned. I bought 10x Bibs 2 years ago and I hunt throughout the whole season, I wear a pair of thermals underneath and the bibs (along with a jacket, gloves and hat) and I have never got cold. Chilly? yes, but cold like you do now? No.
At the moment my boot budget is basically as much as it takes to keep my toes from freezing. I will look at thoe 1500gram Lacross boots.

I have been looking at some wool base layers from here http://www.ibexwear.com/shop/product...s-woolies-crew

Anyone with experience with these? Wool has been around for awhile...
Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Stay warm

Wool is natures wonder. Naturally water resistant, is quiet and soft, doesn't retain odors, keeps you warm when it's cold and regulates body temp when it warms up. Wool also retains 80% of its insulation ability even when it gets wet. If you are in a survival situation in the field you want to be wearing wool. People have been wearing it to stay warm forever. How long has Polywhatever been around?

Your boot selection is up to you, it depends on what you need, like and what fits. I wear the MuckBoot WoodyMax but you may need more where you hunt. And yes I wear 2 PAIR of socks! Wool NOT cotton, Polywhoever, Undermore or anything else, YES WOOL.
A good wool liner 1st layer sock will keep your feet warm and most important wick the moisture off your feet and keep them dry. Then the 2nd heavier Wool blend layer will insulate continue to wick and your feet will not sweet and get clammy. Wool socks as well as underwear wick the moisture away from the body and holds it in the fibers for heat and insulation or evaporates it to regulate temp if it heats up.
I have closets full of crap I don't wear and wasted money on before I learned how to dress.

Good Luck with your search.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Spike

Hello fellow arkie, I have the sitka celsius line as well as a few of their other items and while they are somehow warm they just aren't meant for our region. I think their for people who hunt more open country without briars. One trip through some stickers and briars and you'll be wanting to sell'em. Some of the worst money on clothing I've ever spent. As far as base layers, I did my research for what was the new "in" thing and it appears that merino wool is still tops. All wool is not the same, I've had quite the selection. Woolies were good but not as comfy as merino. I decided to try a new company called 33 degrees or something like that and couldn't be more impressed. Excellent quality, no itch, and after about 16 washes still looks and feels the same, give it a whirl. Its imported but then again so is ****ka, I mean sitka. I believe asat just came out with some merino wool base layers but I haven't ordered from them because they don't list a sizing guide on their site for any of their clothing. Sorry for my slight rant but take it for what its worth