Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

HONDA or Honda - ATV ?'s

Old 04-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: HONDA or Honda - ATV ?'s

Thanks Stubblejumper, I actually am waiting for Edfield in Foams to get back to me on 04's he apparently has still in stock, so I may call him about an 05' as well. I am also going to call Blackfoot just to see what they'll do, my preference is to buy from the smaller dealers as they need the biz and usually treat you very well, so if close then they'll get my biz. I am truly suprised at the differences in prices from dealer to dealer and model to model . I have found some where the S model is damn near the Rubicon and yet others a G diff. I figured s'toon dealer would be out right the highest as that was the case when I bought my Foreman but isn't.

Thanks again for your input and help, very helpful and appreciated!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:42 PM

I have a 2003 Rancher 4x4 ES Electric shift and 2 yrs of hard service and no problems, also contrary to others comments I have not had a bit of trouble out of the electric shift. I have a snow plow and bucket and plow snow for the neighborhood and move gravel with the bucket, so you could say I have abused it and it still works great. I have always owned hondas and always will.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Timbercreek for your comments, I agree hence why I worded the post as HONDA vs Honda...lol.

Still haven't bought but the 04' Rubi is not to be, sold and the other is not worth considering since the Canadian Trail Edition has some upgrades that make the saving on the 04 not even worth consideration.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

What does the canadian trail edition have that a "regular" model doesn't? I'm curious.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 04-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt, being new to really looking these up and down I am not the best person to answer your question but the way I understand it Honda built 2 TRX's to be sold only in Canada (Rubicon and 400 AT CTE) that are supposedly tailored to our enviroment. The thing I do know is different is the adjustable suspension for rider/terrain requirements in canada, so while adjustablity is now on the 05' the CTE takes it even further based on our terrain/use. Supposedly the tranny is also re-designed on the CTE for response time and different from the regular 05 rubicon. The GPS feature is standard and they have upgraded the tires vs any other model. According to some of the research I have done on the ATV forums and such it does have some true differences and have heard many say they wish it was available state side. In the dealers i have spoken with none are bringing in the regular rubicon as the price difference is to small and the feature of the CTE they think are to great. Is that a true stance or Honda Canada saying boys sell these babies cause we gave you your own model..Idunno!

Other difference between the 04 and 05' remains the same:
Disc fronts, 2wd/4wd selection, adjsutable suspension, larger fuel tank, new frame and body work.

One thing I do know is user of the older Rubicons seem to putting up a good case for it even before these "enhancements" so it sounds to me like a solid choice.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:45 PM

Hey i haven't been around to make a comment. you know hunting and stuff!

I also have been looking at the rubicon . i do prefer the old fashioned shift with foot models but there really isnt alot of them anymore.
Now i still love hondas but i really am in the market for a side by side and honda ain't in the market yet. i like the yamaha rhino except for the belt. but they say the yamaha design is far better than the polaris .
Now i also have heard that honda is fixin to jump in to the side by side market so i may wait.
I really like the sidexside just for the utility of it.

But i guess either the foreman500s or the rubicon would do very well if i was getting a atv again.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

TC, I have a hard worked '03 Rancher ES too! I would not own anything but a Honda!
I am sure that if the shifting solinoids ever go out, they will cost more to repair, but with a Honda, the rest of the bike may go out before the shifters do! My last Honda was almot 20 years old, and still running when I got rid of it!
I went with the ES because it was only 200.00 more than the standard shift, and came with electronic dash, and full running boards!
My only complaint is I wish that the two shift buttons were back-lit, so you could see them in the dark!
The Yamahammers, and Kawasaki's, are pretty good bikes, but you can never go wrong with a Honda!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:49 PM
XTP

My 01 Rancher has the ES also and I have not had any problems with it.My brother-in-law has the same bike and did have a problem with an electrical connection getting wet and the system would shut down.( which by the way it is supossed to do.This is a built in saftey feature in that if it detects any fault in the system,it shuts the ES down to protect the rider...eg. unexpected downshifting of gears at high speed).This was easily corrected by the dealer with a proper sealant. Even if the system shuts down however,you are never stuck anywhere,just pull out the shift tool from the kit,manually pop it in gear,and your off.Granted you won't be cruisin' down the highway...but it beats walkin'..!!!