Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Arctic Cat

Old 04-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arctic Cat

If you are really set on buying a cat step up and get the 650 v2 it has the kaw 650 v-twin engine and is a really great machine. For about the some price you can shop around and find a really good deal. I purchased a kaw praire 700 v-twin a few months ago and put some25in itp mudlites on it and have still not been able to find any hole in eastern mo. to get stuck in. My buddy has a 400 cat with 27in mudlites and he seems to run in to a little power problem with turning over the 27's but he rarely gets stuck either but he really likes his cat.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:01 AM

I've got a 2000 manual 4X4 500 cc Arctic Cat. I've posted about it here and maybe some other forums. I really work my wheeler hard. Pulling firewood, disc, cultivator, etc. I have had exactly zero maintenece issues or problems. It always starts and runs perfectly. It pulls like a Clydsdale, but isn't very fast overall as has been mentioned here. I really do think that it's difficult to buy a bad wheeler these days and everyone seems to love whatever brand they currently own. I can't dissagree with that. Here are some things that I love about my cat that I don't think other brands match. If they are not important to you, then maybe another brand has the features that you like. Anyway, I like the very sturdy racks. They are just beefier on a Cat than on most other brands I've looked at. I like the suspension on the Cat. It really is a smooth ride. I like the ground clearance a bunch and I think it is slightly better than the other brands. I like how I consistantly run the snot out the Cat and it just keeps going.
Arctic Cat has earned my loyalty and when it comes time to buy another wheeler, I'll look at Cats first.
That's one guys opinion.

Bill the Dog
Old 04-25-2005, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dairy,

Where'd your Uncle buy his Powurless 500? I've been looking for a machine with similar features.

* No brakes.

* Manual transmission (auxillary brakes).

* Woods touring excitement option (running thru trees w/o brakes).

You ought to have your Uncle get in touch with 870 to have the UOM (underwater operational mode) installed. Then you'd really have a fine machine there, uh I mean your Uncle will.

And yes the Automatic trans versions do engine brake, but this engine braking is not intended to be a substitute for actual brakes. LOL

In closing I cannot figure out if you are just

1. Very young.

2. Very brave.

3. Not too smart.

4. A combination of 1, 2 or 3.

5. All of 1, 2 & 3.

60 MPH WITH NO BRAKES?!?!?!?!?!?

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 04-26-2005, 07:17 PM
XTP

..I think stubblejumper hit the preverbial nail on the head about the primer button. I own a 350ES and this past winter we hit temp.'s of -35 C and after sitting for about two weeks without being started, with a couple pumps on the primer,it would fire up right away.Never had a problem with it starting in the cold and have owned it since 2001.
As for the original question,I don't think either way you choose would be a mistake,I personally just don't like belt drive transmissons in an atv.I know most are water-resistant,but if it gets wet it will be when you need it the most[:@].Arctic Cat has made a name for itself over the last couple years as a very rugged,go anywhere ,do anything machine. Honda already did that years ago.