Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

flashlight and headlamp which ones won't eat batteries like crazy?

Old 03-18-2005, 04:49 PM

Default flashlight and headlamp which ones won't eat batteries like crazy?

Whats a good flashlight and a good headlamp? I'm going on an 11 day pack hunt and don't want to have to bring along an extra horse just for batteries!! I plan on a lot of night travel (on foot). Any help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:44 PM

Default RE: flashlight and headlamp which ones won't eat batteries like crazy?

Excellent question. I used to use different flashlights & head lamps, using a combination of AA & Lithium batteries. My Scorpian flashlight throws an awesome amount of light but the burn time is only a couple of hours. After going on several 10 day hunts in Alaska, where weight is an issue I settled on a Gerber LED flashlight that uses AA batteries. My headlight also is LED and uses AA batteries. I take 2 extra AA. THis system gives plenty of light & it's easy to find spares at a convienence store. I still use the Lithium when I'm hunting arround home.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stick with the LED lights for max burn time per battery. The LED's with a real nicely polished reflectors put out some awesome light and a GREAT LED headlight (especialy for the $10 or so) is the one from Eveready Energizer with 2 white LED's and a single red LED. The red LED is really nice at night when it's really black. It is light and adjustable as to where it can be pointed. Takes (3) AAA batteries which are supposed to give you 50 hours light time which seems like what I get out of ours that we use. Lifetime guarantee, shatter-proof lense. Search Eveready flashlights and check out model HD33A1EN.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 03-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a head lamp I use a Stream Light Clipmate ,it used 3 AAA .
The one I use has 3 green LED's so to not scare game and still be able to read a compass.
Both deer and turkeys seem to ignore it.
It can be cliped to a hat ,coat or used with the head band supplyed with it.
The batteries last over 80 hr ( I replace the batteries 1 time all last fall and winter )
They also sell it with white LED's
About $20

For a flashlight I use a 4AA PROPOLYMER® LUXEON® (thats the name and what it takes)
It has 7 blue/white LED's
The batteries last a long time ,I replace 1 time per season if needed or not
Not much bigger than a Mini mag light but brighter and lasts 5 + times longer
About $25

I would say if you carryed a extra set of batteries you would be good for 20 days.

I have used both for years .
I can highly recomend both.
I give them to freinds and family for X-mas

Johnch
Old 03-19-2005, 06:53 AM

Last year I received as a gift, a Petzl Zipka headlamp that has 4 LED's that operate in different lighting modes. The most interesting feature of this light tho is instead of using an elastic strap, is has an elastic cord that retracts inside the case. The light is extremely portable and uses AAA batteries which I've never had to change yet. (Petzl says they'll last 150 hours) The cord rather than a strap really makes this light useable. It can be work with any kind of hat or even worn on your wrist or arm. On it's brightest setting, it casts allot of light. Everyone in elk camp this year said it was the next 'Have to have item'.
Check out: http://store.karstsports.com/pete4zipledh.html
Old 03-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

I got the Petzl Tikka last year and love it. Guess it is the same light as the Zipka. I never did replace batteries, using it for deer, elk and goose hunting. I had a goofy thing happen on my way to a deer stand. The deer are not afraid of this light and after walking within 15 yards of deer several times in the dark, I was use to that. BUT, one morning on my way in, I saw big eyes glowing back at me! Not "deer high" off the ground, but only a couple of feet high. I was spooked! Then that darn doe stood up. My pants had a smell to them after that and I didn't see another deer that morning. Jim
Old 03-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the Cats Eyes clip light. Works very well in the woods. If you use trail markers this light makes em shine from a long distance. Also works well while climbing into my stand.

Cats eyes
Old 03-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got a $20 Brinkman with 4 LED's that runs on D batteries. I don't know how long the batteries will last because it still has the originals. I know I've put at least 40-50 hours on the thing, probably more like 100.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:29 PM

Another vote for the tikka, very light, comfortable to wear around a hat and the batteries last a long time. I've bought many of these for my family.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

get the round headband streamlight led light. the one that comes in green leds. the petzel and others dont throw enough light. the streamlight is like 2 seasons into batteries.

Quick Reply: flashlight and headlamp which ones won't eat batteries like crazy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.