Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Foodsavers

Old 03-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Foodsavers

My wife and I are considering buying a foodsaver to vacuum wrap game as well as ordinary meats (for example, some meat on sale at the grocery store which we don't want to eat for a couple of months).

I see there are varioius foodsaver models at different price points. Can anyone provide a brief on this topic, direct me to the trade-offs and decision points? What do I get for more money, longer machine life, greater functionality, both? where is the sweet spot of money spent for returned serviceability? I have read some other posts and I gather that you can diminish the life of your machine by improper use -- letting the sealing area get fouled and wet.

Help me out here. I'm sure some of you are very experienced users of the vacuum sealers.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Foodsavers

We got a Tilia {sp} brand for christmas and not used it much yet, but so far I really like it, We have put up a little meat and man its nice to not have to fight the freezer bags or freezer paper. We got the one that came with a couple of canisters, its really neat to see what the vacuum does to some marshmellows LOL.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:18 PM

We have one, Foodsaver....Works really good!
Old 03-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

I have a food saver pro It is very very good 5 years old no problems at all. I do around 11 elk and 20 deer a year not counting tons of fish.This was the 1st one I got and bought ot on a deal so I do not know any dif typs.

I can tell you do not go cheep on bags.This is the bigest problem I see that people try. There is some places you can buy bulk bags food prossesing warehouses.

If mine gat broak tomarow I would buy the same one in a hart beat.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:48 AM
Fork Horn

Bought a foodsaver vac last Nov. Works great and does a very good job at vacuuming and sealing, i have reused the bags by just washing them out with soap and water and letting them dry, the video that comes with it has pretty good tips, if you ever vac items with small amounts of liquids just fold a paper towel below the sealing tab to catch any liquid under vacuuming and you get a good vacuum seal.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:49 AM
Fork Horn

just fold a paper towel below the sealing tab
..inside the bag of course
Old 03-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ELKINMTCWB:

How do I recognize the good vacuum bags? Is price the only thing to key on? If you have been doing that much food packaging with your model and it has lasted five years, that sounds like the model for me. We won't do anywhere near that much packaging.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a food saver pro It is very very good 5 years old no problems at all. I do around 11 elk and 20 deer a year not counting tons of fish.This was the 1st one I got and bought ot on a deal so I do not know any dif typs.
I use the regular food saver bags you an buy them online pretty cheap or look for a special at your store. Would buy the same one Pro again and they really work well. Don't do the volume ELKINMTCWB does though. Lucky guy
Old 03-15-2005, 01:50 PM

I use the Food Saver also and would highly recommend it. The bags are kind of expensive, but worth it. I get mine at Wally World. If mine quits tomorrow, I'll definitely buy another one.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:05 PM

my wife and i use a midpriced foodsaver.we packaged a couple of deer and some odds and ends groceries with it. so far we are very pleased with it. i dont think we gave much more than $150 for it .it came with canisters for chips and things like that. we have yet to try it for morel mushrooms yet.but i am sure it would work perfect for them .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.