Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Gun Safes: Lessons Learned?

Old 03-11-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Gun Safes: Lessons Learned?

Any lessons learned out there regarding gun safes? Bought a safe and later thought I wish this safe had a? or I should have bought a safe that holds X number of guns? Please share any positive experiences you've had with a particular brand or model.

Any positive advise you could share would be appreciated.

Tks,
Scott
Old 03-12-2005, 01:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Gun Safes: Lessons Learned?

MD,

Yes pick a safe with the right capacity for the long guns you plan to have.
The main thing when buying a safe is, do you want a burgler proof, fire proof
or both?Both is more expensive. You can purchase a safe that will resist burgler
attack for 30mins or 1hr or 6hrs. Safes come in different fire ratings.How much
heat can it take for how long of time.Safe's could be protected on 2 sides,4sides or
six sides for burgleries. The more protected for burglery and fire the more the cost.

Now come's the door and the combination lock. Doors should be at least 1" or thicker.
Combinations should meet goverment spec's like Sargent & Greenleaf, for a gun
safe a three wheel pack will do. Three wheel pack's have 100 numbers on each
wheel.....100x100x100>is 1 million possible combinations. These are the one's that
should be on a gun safe. Stay away from the cheaper combinations.They are easy to
open.They should also need to be protected when installed.They should have ceramic
plate between door and lock or carbide plate, to resist drilling.They should have internal
and external re-lockers in case they are punched in.The door should also have a
re-locker system in case the handle or wheel is knocked off. The combination should
be key change and not hand change.

Most of the gun owners buy from Cabelas,Bass Pro or Sporting Good stores. Go to a
Lock & Safe shop and ask them the qualities of thier safe's. Ask them to explain thier safe's
to you. Ask if they have American "STAR" Safe's. These are good quality safe's. Any safe
you buy you will have to either install heat lamp or a couple tubs of DAMP-RID to keep
moisture off your gun's, cameras or important papers.

I did safe's and bank vaults for my self for 15yrs and 20yrs of safe openings with the Sheriff's
Dept., attached to the drug enforcement unit.I have all the tools needed to open safe's.
Believe me there's alot of cheapies out there and real easy to open.

GOOD LUCK....
Old 03-12-2005, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

Best deal I found and purchased was at Sam's Club,I believe it holds 20 long guns,has a shelf above for ammo,handguns personal papers etc. It's a Winchester Safe and cost is $699.00
Old 03-12-2005, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Rebel Hog gave you great advice.

In addition, choose a safe size that is bigger than you think you will need.
It is the garage syndrome--they never seem to be big enough. You'll find all sorts of things in addition to guns that need to be secured.

Also, make sure that it is fastened properly to floor, walls, etc, If you can move it into your house, someone else can move it out. Concrete anchors top/side, and bottom are probably best, but bolts and lags into heavy wood are good, too.

And, check the side wall thickness. Get as thick as you can afford. Few good old boy burglars can defeat a decent door, and few professionals will bother with a gun safe. But, the metal in the sides , top and bottom are much thinner, and will often be attacked by the amateur.

I am not suggesting that you do this, but a friend of mine has a sign on his safe "BLACK POWDER STORED INSIDE". Whether or not there actually is, I will not say, but someone using a grinder, or torch on his safe will certainly need an adventurous spirit.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my local area shooters from a club I belonged to were being broke into and guns stolen.
I had a fair number of guys that new I ( used to )had a few higher $$ guns (non shooters) so I braged up the fact I bought the top end safe ( door weighs about 500 lbs).

I am not sure it was the fact I had put the word out I had put everything in the safe that I never got broke into .

Could not have hurt

I bought a safe a little biger than I realy needed ,but that allowed my colection to grow if needed ( I always want another one)

Johnch
Old 03-12-2005, 07:00 PM

Lesson I learned is all the ones I can afford are imported from Asia. I got a Liberty safe at Big R. I like it fine, but its Chinese. Wish someone in the US could/would make 'em as good and affordable.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:20 PM

What do you do if you lock your guns in it and can't unlock it. Its not likely that you will pop the lock?
Old 03-13-2005, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Fort Knox safe and really like it, It has about 20 1" locking lugs a Sargeant-Greenleaf combination lock and rated for 30 minutes at 1200 degrees, It holds 22 long guns and I wish it was bigger, when I bought it I thought that would be big enough. Be sure and get some kind of dehumidifier rod to go in it, I have one called the golden rod, I have some guns that I have'nt oiled in years and they are still nice and clean, no rust at all.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

As added protection along with a good safe,it wouldn't be a bad idea having a Professional Alarm system installed.While working trying to get in the safe the cops are on the way.Once installed they're only about a 1.00 a day.I've had ADT for about 10 years. It's nice having that added peace of mind.They are monitored 24/7.Most insurance co's give a break on Home Owners Insurance when you have a alarm system installed.I believe I'm getting 15%. That right there pays for the alarm system.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-13-2005, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jones123

Lesson I learned is all the ones I can afford are imported from Asia. I got a Liberty safe at Big R. I like it fine, but its Chinese. Wish someone in the US could/would make 'em as good and affordable.
Jones123 I'm not doubting your word. This came right from Liberty's site.

Ruger Redhawk

LibertySafes - #1 Selling...

Made in the USA

Experience You Can Trust...

Made in USA

All Liberty and National Security Safes are made in our state-of-the art manufacturing plant in Payson Utah.

Quick Reply: Gun Safes: Lessons Learned?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.