Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Gun Safes: Lessons Learned?

Old 03-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun Safes: Lessons Learned?

Jones My hunting partner and I bought bought a Liberty 23 gun models when Walmart was closing them out after Christmas of 03.We got these with the Electronic locks for right at 6 bills.Liberty has a much better warranty againist Fire and break ins compared to Cannon.They look just about identical. Go to www.libertysafe.com you'll see what a great warranty they have. Then go to www.Cannonsafe.com and compare.

Rebel Hog, Those American Stars sound like the ticket.Approx what do they run?Say a 60"x30"x24" like the Liberty I have.With all that steel it would take Fort Knox to pay the shipping.They must weigh a ton.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-14-2005, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Ruger-Redhawk

Liberty has a much better warranty againist Fire and break ins compared to Cannon.They look just about identical.

Ruger Redhawk
Thanks. I will check to see if my "CENTURION . . . by Liberty" has a Liberty warranty.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Ruger,
Go to a good lock and safe shop , sometimes they have them laying around thier tool boxe's,
or have safe's just for parts or go to an out board motor shop and see what lenght and diameter
they have.
I always used un-hardened Roll Pins. Many safes come with them.

As for AMSEC "STAR"safes, most good lock and safe shop's carry or can get them.
I have seen them used from $1600-$2000 in alot of shops.
Close to me is COLLIER SAFE CO. in Odesa Fl. and National Safe CO. in Clearwater Fl..
They make Bank quality safes and vault doors.
I like Diebold, Mosler and Amsec, but I understand most working hunters on a budget
can only afford the common and I can't blame them. They should take your GOOD advise
and Alarm them, depending on thier colletion or even a couple of top $$$$ guns.

A little Trivia.......The only thing standing in Hiroshima after the bomb was the Mosler Bank Vaults!
How's that for a name? Diebold is considered just as good IMHO.
For the home AMSEC is top of the line of safe's,but make sure your floor can support the weight
because they are heavy.

I don't want to comment on how the safe man opened yours! Not on the Forum!
When Liberty Safe's first started, I met the man who started it, in a Safe Show here
in town. He had the backs off the doors to show his design of the bolt works. He incorperated
a good lock anti-drill system on them. IMHO Liberty is a well protected safe for the money.
They make less expensive ones too.

The person who burglarised your's did not
know what he was doing or he would have gotten your guns. Probably a young kid!
I won't mention how on the forum.

When people go in Lock and Safe shops, the sales person is going to push the Item where
he is going to make the most profit.

Make sure you know about his reputation? Some of them will sell information about your
safe location and even combination. Ask him to show you proof of Insurance and he needs to be BONDED!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Dominant Buck

MD....are you picking up on the advise all are giving?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rebel Hog thanks for your information,there are several Locksmiths around my area.I'll go by the one I used and ask about a shear pin.You got my attention when you said the thug didn't know what he was doing or he would have gotten in it.All this happened when I lved in Miami.Not saying it can't happen anywhere.Those Star safes sound like they are top of the line.Reasonable if you can find a used one in that price range you mentioned.The weight wouldn't concern me.I have a concrete deck.I agree it's best not saying to much on the forums.I do appreciate your comments.If you have anything you want to add shoot me a PM or email.Thanks again

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Make sure you know about his reputation? Some of them will sell information about your
safe location and even combination. Ask him to show you proof of Insurance and he needs to be BONDED!

That's what I liked about the Locksmith I used.They never asked for name or address.I do see your point. That could be a very easy inside job.I would have been leery giving any personal information to them. I had a small safe . I had them change the combo.I think it was 25.00 for changing it.I took the door to them.It was a small fire resistant safe mainly for small items and papers.I must say this has been a very interesting topic.I've learned allot.Thanks for all the good advice

Ruger Redhawk
Old 03-15-2005, 07:52 PM

Very interesting information being passed... thanks for all the input. Plan on making a few phone calls to local locksmiths to see what is available. To be honest, I planned on checking out the local Bass Pro Shop to see their Browning and Redhead safes, but I see there is quite a bit more options out there.

Regarding the house alarm... My home is protected by ADT, but are you recommending I have a sensor placed on the safe as well?

Regarding the amount of temperature a safe can withstand... what is the recommended temp/time? Don't want to be doped into more than I actually need. I always go overboard on these type of things.

Regarding the combo... what is the word on dial or digital?

Again, very informative feedback. Thanks for all the posts.

MD Piney
Old 03-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Man, you already have ADT, no problem! Yes have them run wire and install a sensor.
Minimum 1400*/ 30min fire proof.
I prefer Sargent & Greenleal mechcanical combo, but if you are planning to install a sensor, you can go with
digital.
Remember about what was said about moisture?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Ruger-Redhawk

All Liberty and National Security Safes are made in our state-of-the art manufacturing plant in Payson Utah.
I hate to digress on this thread, but you got me curious, so I went to their site. Centurion is a line of safes sold by Liberty. They leave "Centurion" out of the above statement, but they never say Centurion is imported.

Obviously they needed to succumb to competition and started a line of imported safes. Very difficult to discern this from their site.

So I guess I kinda own a Liberty but not really. Same but different. Alike but different in the respect that they are not the same. They share the same differences from each other. One compares to the other the same way. They are exactly alike except in the respect that one has differences.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jones I never heard of the Centurion line.I'm sure they had to meet Liberty's specs.They farmed it out for the cheaper labor. I wouldn't be overly concerned.I don't believe Liberty would put any junk out to tarnish they name.

MD Since you already have a alarm system you have half the battle won.

Ruger Redhawk

Quick Reply: Gun Safes: Lessons Learned?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.