Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Questions about 2-way Radios

Old 09-11-2002, 09:13 PM

Default Questions about 2-way Radios

I am looking for the best 2-way radio for the best price I can find... I do not want to spend more then $45.00 ea. for a pair of small 2-way radios that I am my father can use in the upcomeing hunting season. My fathers health has been a concern this year but I do not want to take hunting away from him becasue of it. So for me to feel good about haveing him alone in the woods I want to be able to have contact with him at all times... That is why i need to find some good trustworthy radios to buy. Here are my questions.. 1. when they say 2 and or 5 miles is that correct. YOU WILL get and only get up to that distance? Should I get at least the 5 mile even though we may never be over 2 miles apart?
2. How long do the batteries last? either AAA or ni-cad/ ni-nhm?
3. How well do they work in the woods?
4. Are they very clear?
5. Should I get FRC or GMRC type radios?
6. Can you trust the cheaper brands?
7. are they as good or better as the older CB/handheld type radios I have used in the past?

I liked the Midland F-12 series but know nothing about them. They run $59.99 a pair at some places but have found higher single types for cheaper in a pair set so that is why I am asking as much as I can..

Thank you for your time and trouble.

Robert Jr. and Sr.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Questions about 2-way Radios

The Motorola 6220's are listed at Cabela's at $59.00 they are a little more than your range but I've been well satrisfied and others that have used mine feel they are better than theirs. Spend the extra bucks . . . they are worth it.

Bowhunter
Old 09-12-2002, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got Motorola T6400's. The FRS are 2 mile in absolutely flat land with no obstructions. The GMRS are 5 miles under the same condition. The T6400's are GMRS and FRS, with beeps off and other bells and whistles (voice activated if you want, vibration when you get a call, privacy codes, stopwatch, alarm, etc.). I got them for only $37.50 each after a mail in rebate. Check ebay for this model. I don't think you can find GMRS so cheap anywhere else, much less from the best quality maker of two-way radios out there. The extra distance these provide over the FRS can only help in woods. They run on AA batteries and though I just got them, they should do fine on about two all day hunts with the radios on. Just use rechargeable ALKALINE'S. Don't use NIMH because they are only 1.2 volts. Alkaline are 1.5 volts. My buddy's FRS radios came in ok at most distances at my place in the mountains (all wooded), but didn't hardly come in at all in others, and every transmission was less than 3/4 mile, and probably within 1/2 mile. Why risk not being able to communicate, or less clear communication using FRS then the GMRS are so cheap?

Find the seller "fleabaystuff" and send an email asking if he'll send you two brand new Motorola T6400's for $75 after rebate (rebate ends at the end of this month). That is what I paid, and I believe he'll do it. The radios arrived in my mail about 4 days after I mailed the payment to them.

Edited by - DougMd on 09/12/2002 10:06:48
Old 09-12-2002, 06:33 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-13-2002, 10:30 PM

We've got the midlands and love them. my father and i use them only if we've got one down and need help. they work great for this. i would be cautious about the cheaper brands for one reason. my uncle bought some cheapo's(don't recall the brand) but every time you try to call somebody, the reciever of the call will get this beep-beep-beep to notify you that you have an incoming call, which is obviuosly useless for hunting purposes. i don't know if all of them are like this, but i'd check.
Old 09-14-2002, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
We've got the midlands and love them. my father and i use them only if we've got one down and need help. they work great for this. i would be cautious about the cheaper brands for one reason. my uncle bought some cheapo's(don't recall the brand) but every time you try to call somebody, the reciever of the call will get this beep-beep-beep to notify you that you have an incoming call, which is obviuosly useless for hunting purposes. i don't know if all of them are like this, but i'd check.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Sounds like my friends Cobras! His always beep after finishing a conversation. My Motorola 6220's allow me to set up a vibration alert.

Bowhunter
Old 09-15-2002, 08:12 AM

Some good advice here but you have to keep in mind that with the GMRS you must have an FCC license to be legal.
Mike

&quot;The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse ALWAYS gets the cheese&quot;
Old 09-24-2002, 03:48 PM

Just remember it's 2 miles line of sight, woods will lower that range. As said before, Cobras make all sorts of noises. I'd recommend Motorola's 6000 or 7000 series. Work great and have alot of options for headsets and the like. I'd stick with AA batteries, easy to replace when goes low in the field and nicads are hard to charge in the woods.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-26-2002, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a pair of the Motorola 6220s at OfficeMax 2 weeks ago. Paid $19.95 each for them. I haven't used them much yet, but they seem like nice radios. I like the small size, and the vibra-call feature.

&quot;If you can't change your circumstances then you need to change your perspective.&quot;

Quick Reply: Questions about 2-way Radios

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.