Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

question about pack frames

Old 03-01-2005, 06:20 PM

Default question about pack frames

how well does your packframe work for you? how much weight can you put on it? can you strap a small deer to it? i am thinking about getting one out of cabelas (the alaskan outfitter frame and harness) to haul out deer and quartered protions of elk and bear. i have been told it is a hassel to use them but i also have been told that they are nice to have. when i was in the marines we used smaller frames (made out of aluminum also) and put about 120 to 150 lbs of gear in the pack and the frame took it like a champ. it is not a problem about me carring the weight but can the frame handle it. i was also thinking about a sled too. tell me what you think or have experienced.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:26 PM

Default RE: question about pack frames

ORIGINAL: ike1371

i have been told it is a hassel to use them but i also have been told that they are nice to have.
It is a lot more of a hassle to not use them if ya ask me. I love mine, and it's not as modern of a harness as the ones in Cabela's now. Buy the frame only and you can strap any small pack to it. Then you can dump the shooting aids because you're carrying a shooting aid on your back. You can rest your rifle on any of several heights with a frame. I put some hose clamps in various spots on mine to keep the rifle from sliding along the frame. Set it upright and it's good for sitting.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Agree with Jones123. I have one of Cabela's Alaskan Guide pack frames. I like it a lot. Strapped a small ruck on to it and it works fine. It also has a fold up ledge that folds down for putting deer/elk hindquarters or front shoulders on or whatever you need to get out of the woods.

The frame fits well and includes a waistband and chest compression strap, two must have items as far as I'm concerned in an external frame rig. These two features help distribute the load and take some pressure off your shoulders.

The bottom of the Cabela's frame rides on your hips, exactly where it should. The old ALCE frames that I humped as an infantryman in the Army were too short with the bottom horizontal bracing riding right in the small of your back - talk about a lousy design. A lot of guys I served with didn't realize how uncomfortable these pieces of crap were until they had a chance to wear a high quality commercial external frame ruck. I say this as opposed to the aluminum frames we had in VN that were longer with a curved lower portion also riding on your hip like the Cabela's rig does.

My only criticism of the Cabela's rig is that sometimes it squeaks as I move. I solved this by simply duct taping all the fasteners to shut them up.
Regards
Old 03-02-2005, 10:24 PM

I have a Cabela's and a Dana Designs. The Dana is a better made suspension, but does not have the ammeniities of the cabelas pack (rifle carrier, spotting scope pocket).

I have put a full moose hind leg (about 95 lbs) in mine, and it did fine. in rough terrain. I have also carried two hind quarter, backstraps, and tenderloins along with a sleeping bag and other gear for a caribou bivouc about 4 miles with no problems. I figure that pack went around 120 lbs.

It's a good pack. You could fit a small eastern whitetail in your pack easily, but it will take you two trips with a big mulie (about the same size as a caribou).
Old 03-03-2005, 01:26 AM

thanks for the info