Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Need Trail Cam advice

Old 02-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Spike

Default Need Trail Cam advice

I just purchased a Leaf River Trail Cam and would like suggestions from experienced users of trail cams. Other than pointing the camera up or down the trail and not pointing it into the sun, what other tricks of the trade are there? I installed a compact flash and can check images in the field. I have the camera set on 2.1 MP. Personally, I want to know where "big boy" is hanging out at. Most frequently used trails are usually made by does and yearlings. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sam
Old 02-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Trail Cam advice

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea on how to get the most from you LR. Another tip, because of the delay of all the digi cams, it is best to set it near a spot where the deer will pause or slow. Any stagging type area works great. I have also had great luck with applying a little deer scent or even peeing where you want the deer to stop. It will often give you the perfectly centered full frame shots you want. The Leaf River units truly are the best out there in my opinion. I've had excellent results with mine!
Old 02-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try dumping out a bag or 2 of corn in front of your camera, I have done that before and got some really great pics.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:04 PM

Be sure you wear scent free boots, or spray your soles with scent killer before you go in to hang the camera. I have the Leaf River Digital and absolutely love it. Putting out trail cameras is almost as good as hunting.....You never know what you'll get! Just my two cents.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:16 PM

like strut said use corn, or start a mineral lick in the ground, basically something for the deer to know their is sometime there for them,and they will come and pose for the camera,good thing about the mineral lick it will last a long time, just keep fresh,but check with your state laws before hunting over it. good luck.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the advice. It is rather dumb of me but I did not consider masking my odor.

My purpose for the camera is to find out what is using the trail and when they are transiting. I can't use any kind of bait so I will probably forego the corn. Will a mineral brick work? I put one out near a stand but really do not know if the deer have paid it any attention to it. I am wondering if the bricks aren't over rated.

Also, I set the camera for 24 hour operation. As I get near the beginning of next season, I will want to know the daytime habits of deer. Would it be best to leave it on 24 hour operation or day only?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:45 PM

I always leave mine on 24 hour operation. Most of our monsters are nocturnal anyway, but it's sure good to see them on camera!