Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Spotting scope advice

Old 02-10-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Spotting scope advice

I have an elk hunt coming up this fall and would like some advice on a decent spotting scope for the money. I don't want to pay over $300. Also, angled or straight? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spotting scope advice

I am looking at buying one too before this fall. I've been looking at the Leupold Sequoia and the Nikon Realtree. Both are 15X45 60MM scopes. Both can be found new under $300. Has anyone had any experiences with either? I have Leupold scopes on my rifles and love them but I also think the Nikon could be a good scope.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me my causin and brother each pitched in $300 and purchased a spotting scope between the 3 of us.As nice as it is to have one to yourself,you'll find that you will use your binos way more than a spotting scope.
With a good pair of binos you'll be able to tell how big an elk is.
You need a spotting scope for sheep and goat hunting but elk one could probably get away without one.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I received the Leupold Sequoia for my birthday last year and it works well for my usage(which is at the range and pre season scouting). I did notice in low light at 45x it was pretty dim and hard to locate with, as such if I truly needed a spotter for long range judging while hunting I would look to a higher end product. While i am out hunting my Binos work nicley for the game and area I hunt, so in my case the spotter is used in a very controlled manner so it is Ok and all I really required.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

My recent experiences looking for a spotting scope might help you to some extent. With the original mindset of "If its bigger then it could probably be better" I invested $250 in a Brunton Lite-Tech 20-60x90. It was fully multicoated and the overall size and specs appealed to me. I ordered one out of the SportsmansGuide with high hopes for its performance.

To jump to the chase, it did not perform up to my expectations. Though the image was exceptionally bright (thanks to the 90 mm objective and full multicoatings) it also exhibited an excessive amount of chromatic abberration (red/blue color fringing on high contrast objects). I subsequently returned it and bought....

... a Cabelas Pine Ridge 20-50x70. Excellent little scope for a price around $200. Good brightness levels and very even colors across the field of view. Very little color-fringing. However, the clarity, though good was not equivalent to what I have come to expect from my optics which lead me to....

...the Nikon Earth and Sky 15-45x60. Smaller objective but still very good brightness levels plus the image was very crisp with low levels of color fringing. I have yet to find any fault with the image or mechanical workings of this scope. Plus, if you go with the kit, which includes a full size tripod and case (usable while the scope is in use) then the total only goes up to $350.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Get what 90% of the pros get: Kowa

They have budjet models w/in your price range. Top quality glass, you will never be sorry and....when you upgrade they are easy to sell!

http://www.jarheadtop.com/kowa.html
Old 02-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also have the Leupold Sequoia and only use it at the range. The spotting scope is well made but would not be good enough for scouting at long distance in my opinion. You would be better off with a good pair of binoculars as previously mentioned or a better quality spotting scope. Good Luck.....
Old 02-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a sport shop in Canada called Wholsale Sports.www.wholesalesports.com they sell the Baush and Lombe Elite
15X45X60 for under 500.00 Canadian. I have never used one but according to articalls I've read it is not a bad spotting scope.
I'm pretty sure it is still more than the $300.00 you have allowed for a budget.(I'm asuming you live in the States) but it is probably your best bet.
Unless you can come across a good second hand one at a good price but I don"t recomend it.Its too risky.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is a sport shop in Canada called Wholsale Sports.www.wholesalesports.com they sell the Baush and Lombe Elite
15X45X60 for under 500.00 Canadian. I have never used one but according to articalls I've read it is not a bad spotting scope.
Thats what I use and I absolutely love it. Lightweight durable and great glass. It was recommended by just a few optics experts. Now if your going on a guided hunt leave it home and hopefully if you have a reputable guide he has one along with a good pair of binos .. BTW I purchased a Leupold fixed power gold ring scope last year because they are compact..lets just say I don't own it anymore.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would save your money, You can not buy a good spotting scope for $300. Binos are all you need when you are hunting. We use our spotting scopes in the late evening hours glassing far away ridges. This helps us plan the next days hunt. A cheap spotting scope is a waste of time & money.

Quick Reply: Spotting scope advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.