Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Polaris atv's!!!!!!!want one??????

Old 01-15-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Polaris atv's!!!!!!!want one??????

Hey run on down and buy you one!!!!!!!!

Polaris pays $950,000 to settle ATV case

Company pays up, but denies allegations it was late in reporting defects and injuries.
January 13, 2005: 1:05 PM EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Polaris Industries Inc. has agreed to pay $950,000 to settle accusations that it was late in reporting defects and injuries linked to some models of its all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said Thursday.

The safety agency said the civil penalty was its first for reported violations involving ATVs.

Polaris (up $1.25 to $65.40, Research), while paying the penalty, denied the allegations, the CPSC said in a statement.

"This has been going on for a long enough period of time that settling was the most prudent thing to do," said Marlys Knutson, a spokeswoman for Polaris.

The safety commission conducted two investigations into Polaris' reporting. It found the company did not immediately report defects and injury reports about its ATVs and made engineering changes to the vehicles before informing the CPSC.

The CPSC charged that Medina, Minn.-based Polaris learned between December 1998 and May 2000 of 88 reports of throttles sticking due to defects in its Scrambler, Sport and Xplorer 400 models.

The throttle reports included 19 crashes or other accidents, and seven reports of injuries, including a dislocated hip, a broken shoulder, torn back muscles and scrapes and bruises.

The other probe found that Polaris received nearly 1,450 reports between March 1999 and February 2001 of ATV oil lines blowing off, disconnecting or loosening on its Xpedition, Trail Boss and Magnum 325 model ATVs.

This problem resulted in the spraying of hot pressurized oil with 18 reports of injuries, including second- and third-degree burns, scarring, bruises and scrapes.

In both cases, the CPSC said Polaris made engineering changes before informing the commission of the defect and injury reports and prior to recalls of the vehicles.

The safety commission said federal law requires that a company report within 24 hours after receiving information reasonably supporting the conclusion that a product contains a defect that could create a substantial risk of injury or violates a federal safety standard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2005 Reuters All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

polaris story
Old 01-15-2005, 06:42 PM

Default RE: Polaris atv's!!!!!!!want one??????

Couldn't give me one, Honda all the way for me.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I drove a Polaris for a while to test one...It was my buddy's Sportsman 500. Didn't care for it at all. Too top heavy.

Bought a Bombardier Quest 500 for under $5,000 and it's a much better ride than the polaris. Twice as comfortable and much more stable.

The dealer I bought mine from is now selling 650's 4x4 for about $5500. That's about $1500 less than Polaris.

I just hope Bombardier doesn't go to hell now that they are making the Buck for John Deere.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a 2000 Sportsman 500 and a 94 400L Polaris. Both have been trouble free and great machines. I think you can get a lemon in any bunch. Larry
Old 01-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

I have 99 Sportsman 500 and am waiting the arrival of my new '05 Sportsman 700 efi. They are heavy but I use it for hunting and plow the driveway and don't have any issues.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:35 PM

For the life of me I cant understand why people would buy a polaris!!! Do your home work and use the internet. I bought a Honda Rubicon and love it my one brother bought a Honda fourman 450 and he loves his. Now my brothers son and law wouldn't liscene to use and bought a polaris. He hates it. My other brother did the same thing and bought a polaris. His fell apart from plowing snow...

Honda baybe Honda...
Old 02-04-2005, 10:17 PM

josey i feel the same way!

Polaris is the biggest hunk of junk out there.

But folks can spend thier money any way they want.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 97 Polaris Sportsman 500. It's been a good machine expect for some minor problems.New Tie Rods at 225 hours.Speedometer not working properly. Fan motor seized. Belt slapping the cover. Polaris did come out with a revised belt cover made of more heat resistant plastic.I would never buy another one mainly because of Polaris's Customer Service. You're better off talking to the wall and save a toll call.You'd get the same help talking to the wall.I called them about the revised belt cover mentioned above. That dizzy woman refused to answer any questions I asked.All she knew how to say is take it to your dealer.I asked if there was someone else I could talk to? No take it to your dealer. My next if there is a next will be a Honda.I got the new revised belt cover. A cheap piece of molded plastic.85.00.Yes they are proud of their parts too!

Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same buddy I spoke of earlier in this post just found out that a lobe on the cam of his Sportsman is rounded off, and he will need a new cam. The thing that surprised me is that the whole thing is only going to run him like $400. I expected more......
Old 02-05-2005, 07:49 AM

I dont think Ive ever seen a Polaris without problems. My uncle and cousin bought a couple of them and as son as the warranty was out, they both fell apart, thye couldnt keep them out of the shop, and its been the same with everyone in the area who has bought one. I have owned about 6 different Hondas from race bikes to utility models, and have never had a single problem with any of them, and some really had a lot of abuse, they should change the name from Honda to Timex

Quick Reply: Polaris atv's!!!!!!!want one??????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.