Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Polaris atv's!!!!!!!want one??????

Old 02-12-2005, 09:35 PM

Default RE: Polaris atv's!!!!!!!want one??????

not that im a freakin mechanic
Hey buddy you got a problem with mechanics?

Now i make a pretty decent living being a mechanic. not a atv mechanic but a jet mechanic.
but i will give you credit if a person can read and apply what they read they can do most jobs. and of course if they have the tools and skills.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I myself prefer Yamahas over any others as far as 4 wheelers. No troubles ever with mine and know too many people with problems with Polaris. Althoug my buddy has a Polaris boss 6 wheeler and we use that thing for hauling everything. But he said his next one will be the Grizzly.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have helped my friend fix his wheelers and his dirtbikes b/c i know how to.
Helping a friend now and then is not the same as owning your own quad and having to either pay for all repairs or do them yourself.Since the quads that you ride belong to others, you will not be aware of all of the maintenance and associated costs required for each of them.And since you are 16 years of age and only ride quads belonging to others ,your experience is limited.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

I have a polaris x-plorer 400 have had not that may problems with it just normal maintaince but decided to buy a new quad this year. Got a great deal on an 05 kaw. praire v-twin 700 for $6400 dumped the polaris on my stepson who has already rolled it once due to the top heavyness and bent one rear wheel and one on the front.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know this polaris quality thing keeps popping up fairly regularly around here. And it always seems to come out the same, that polaris is a high maintenance and less than reliable machine. I say if looks like a duck, quacks like a duck then its probably a polaris
seriously, do some research and you will find that the japanese ( Hon, Yam ) are always praised so there must be something to that. In my camp we have 4 yamahas and 1 suzuki. The suzuki is the only one to ever break down, and we work them alot harder than most people. I am on my second big bear and unless I decide to start riding these things for pure sport and recreation as opposed to utility the big bear can do anything I ever need it to. That includes dragging whole dead moose out of the bush. Thats about as big a chore as it will need to deal with. I have some friends who own polaris and the repairs on them ( one had to rebuild the motor, who the hell blows up a motor on a 4 stroke atv?) are way worse than a jap bike.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes sireee Terry. A duck is a duck is a duck. QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! "Get them guns up boys!"

I understand that folks believe that Polaris builds a tank of an ATV with good four wheel drive systems and all, OK power, too. (99.9999% those who dropped too way too many dollars, expecting a Rolls Royce, battle-proof ATV) But it does seem to be the name plauged with the most problems - often the one being towed off the trail, back at the shop, etc....

It seems to me that they are just flat out too heavy and overpriced. Too overbuilt.

When you look to the top offerings from the major companies..........How can you beat a brand new 2005 Suzuki King Quad or Yamaha Grizzly for $7199 (MSRP), or Arctic Cat V2 650 or Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ($7500 MSRP) vs. a Polaris 800 at $8599 (MSRP)?

The $1300 difference will fit ya with alot of the accessories we all pile on!

The Yamaha, Suzuki, Cat or Kaw will do ANYTHING the Polaris will EXCEPT get worse fuel mileage or sink in the mud cause it forgot to subscribe to Weight Watchers. Polaris = 832 lbs.- "Hello? Richard Simmons?), The Cat = 752, Kaw Brute = 668, King Quad = 661, & Grizzly only 648.

Those numbers speak volumes as to why the Polaris' are such top heavy, sluggish performers. I mean it outweighs it's nearest competitor (the Cat) by 80 lbs. and the lightest (Grizzly) by 184 lbs.!

Hello? Is there anybody out there?

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 02-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

I hear ya uncle Matt that is why I went out and bought a kaw praire 700 and gave the polaris to my step son. My other step son bought a brute force 750 and we both love the sheer power of the v-twin and at 604lbs that is a lot of motor and a lot of pulling power.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:55 AM

You guys must shoot some big animals to need a 700/800/750 ATV to get them out.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I won't confess to being an expert in this regard but the way I see it these big bores(660/700/750's) that weigh not much more than a 500 class really don't have anything to offer for dragging down low power. I mean if you have a lot of umf but not enough weight to hook up, IMO all your doings is making more noise and spitting more dirt. I honestly think the heavy big bores would be a better choice if this was your application and as much as it pains me to say that a Polly 700 weigh 150 lbs more just might edge out the others in its class when it comes to harness those additional cc's to the dirt under payload. I think just like sleds they build em for the need for speed to blast your buddy, turn the key/go and bigger is obviously better! In most cases ain't much a new bike will do that the old 90's 300 manual didn't when it come to getting down and dirty...yep a lot of great enhancements to ride/handling/safety which is great and was required but I certainly don't see the answer to be put more engine under your tush.

Being in the market of a new ATV I ain't looking to get anything over the 500 class and I want it to honk out moose sized animals. If I can't do this I'll get the ole 300 or 400 b/c they can and will, being first ain't even a consideration just get me home is all I ask!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: llbts1

I've got a 2000 Sportsman 500 and a 94 400L Polaris. Both have been trouble free and great machines. I think you can get a lemon in any bunch. Larry
The only trouble is, a box of Polecats, er,Polaris, you get a box of lemons with only one or two apples in it! With the Honda, you get a box of apples!

Quick Reply: Polaris atv's!!!!!!!want one??????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.