Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What brand of range finder to buy?

Old 01-12-2005, 07:39 AM

Default What brand of range finder to buy?

Plan to start bow hunting in the fall of 2005. Figure a range finder would be a good item to have until I get use to estimating distances. I'll hunt out of a tree stand so I could range some trees before the shot presents itself. Will also use it for shooting. I read a review on a Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport and it was not favorable, saying it would not always give a reading. This is not something I want to spend a fortune on, and I would like to stay around $200 or less. What brand and model do you recommend? What power magnification is best?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:08 AM

Default RE: What brand of range finder to buy?

i got a bushnell trophy from opticsplanet.com for under $200. I haven't had any complates about it, its got alot of good features (different modes and such) and really good min and max ranges (works great for bow and rifle) has a nice 9x magnifacation too. If I could change anything about it i would make it a binocular type instead of the monocular (just my preference), but i'll live.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bushnell is the only one under 200 I can think of . Tried one but it had very limite range . $159 was the price
Old 01-13-2005, 06:56 AM

I've been using a Nikon 800 for several years now. Couldn't be happier. It has several nice features you might find useful. Seems to me that prices on all the rangefinders have come down, guess the technology has paid for itself already.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:00 AM

Excellent optics comparison on the Cabella website-might be of help when you look at features to consider. This is another one of those buys where you get what you pay for
Old 01-13-2005, 10:57 AM

Is there any difference between the NIKON MONARCH LASER 800 and the Bushnell Legend? I havent picked up a Nikon, but the Bushnell fits my hand nicely. What about the difference ranging modes? The info I've been able to find about the Nikon, doesnt specify rain, and zip like the Bushnell does. I know that the majority of them are useless past about 500 yrds without having something to steady your hand on. Does the Nikon have a tripod mounting socket on it? I don't think the Bushnell does. Thanx
Old 01-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm looking to get one too. The Bushnell Legend is nice and waterproof as is the Nikon Monarch 800. They are the two I'm looking at at http://theopticzone.com for under $300. The Leica is really good I hear, better for low-light since it uses a red LED instead of the black LCD in cheaper units but I hear they are about the same accuracy.