Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Bushnell 8x42 Legend Binocular Review

Old 01-08-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Bushnell 8x42 Legend Binocular Review

Just wanted to let anyone considering the purchse of the Bushnell Legend Binoculars that they are quite nice. I picked up 8 x 42, these also feature Bushnells Rainguard on the lenses which is suppose to help with fogging up.

I was quite impressed with how they handled fogging up or really the lack of fogging. We recieved around 3 inches of snow this morning, so I was cross country skiing in a park behind the house for nearly an hour, and to say the least I was a sweat hog when I was done with steam rolling off of me, and had to take my eyeglasses off due to the fogging. I then had to shovel the drive and took the Binoc's out with me in the 25-27 degree temps. I had no problem with fogging. I then left the Legends on the front porch so they could get cold, by the time I was done with the snow removal, I used the noc's again with no fogging issues. I even blew on the lenses which put a minor fog film on them but I could see through them easily and they cleared rather quickly. Of course there performance in colder temps is still a mystery, but I think they'll work out o'kay.

I moved up to these from a cheaper pair of Barska's 10 x 42 that cost around $80 or $90 and seemed okay in the store but were found to be basically garbage when I really needed them on my trip to Wyoming this past summer.

The clear images were quite amazing with the Legends compared to the Barskas. The Barska's made the blanket of fresh snow look dirty to say the least where the Legends were crystal clear and focused with ease at varying distances.

I wish I would've bought nicer noc's to start. All in all I think anyone would be real happy with the Bushnell Legends they seem to be priced in the $270-290 price range, but I don't think I'll ever need to upgrade now. Of course I've never looked through the likes of Zeiss or Swavorski's, but those would never fit my price range anyways.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bushnell 8x42 Legend Binocular Review

Nice review. I posted a similar one on the 8x32s over on the Bowhunting Equipment Review forum a couple months ago. I really think that the Legends are one of the better mid priced roof prism binos out there right now. The only, somewhat, drawback I found with them is that model for model they are a bit heavier than similar models offered from other companies. Nothing drastic in my opinion but notable none the less.

The reason you saw such a drastic difference between the Barskas and the Legends is, primarily, because of the lens coatings. The Barskas are only full coated, meaning that every lens and prism surface receives at least one chemical coating to reduce glare and increase contrast and brightness. The Legends are fully multicoated, meaning all lenses receive multiple chemical coatings, as well as having the roof prism phase coated. Phase coating significantly improves brightness and contrast.

Great all around binocular both in terms of image quality and ergonomics. They felt like they would take alot of abuse. For the price they are a bargain.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:19 AM

Default RE: Bushnell 8x42 Legend Binocular Review

Just wanted to post a follow up on these nocs.

It's been quite cold around these parts so I had a chance to put these to a decent test regarding fogging. I left the nocs out for about an hour in 8 degree weather then brought them back into the house. They fogged up a little, but I could still read a street sign over 200 yards away, there was a little haze on the lens.

Anyone that wears glasses knows you usually can't see thur there specs when coming in from the cold.

I placed them back outside for another 30 minutes or so, I looked through them outside with no real fogging problems, then brought them back in where they got a little hazy again, but I could still see through them with ease. Of course it was daylight, if it were sunup/sundown it may have been more difficult, but of course these temps were in the extreme.

I left them out again for another hour at around 11 degrees, and used them outside and had no problems with fogging from the heat of my body. I had to blow on them to get a fog on them and that cleared within a minute or so, but I could still see through them.

I've had serious issues with previous nocs and not being worth a darn in the cold due to fogging.

I think these things will work real well for all my needs.