Bare with me this is my first time using anything like this but here it goes. I would like to know what the ??X?? mean when looking into binoculars? Also what is a good binocular for a first one that wouldn't break my bank because I am just now getting into hunting..." />

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Binoculars

Old 01-07-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Binoculars

Bare with me this is my first time using anything like this but here it goes. I would like to know what the ??X?? mean when looking into binoculars? Also what is a good binocular for a first one that wouldn't break my bank because I am just now getting into hunting and I know I have a lot of things I will need to really get into hunting. This is only a start of my many questions I have so expect to hear more from me. Thanks, Mark
Old 01-07-2005, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Binoculars

My understanding is the "8x25" means an 8 power optic that has a 25mm objective lens. The larger the second #, the larger diameter of the lens, and the better light gathering capability. The phrase 8x just means 8 power.
And, by the way, welcome to the forum.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome! Don't hold back on any question you might have...
Old 01-07-2005, 01:22 PM

I asked the same question a while back and got an excellent response that pointed me at the Cabela's website. There is a section under the optics area that contains a well written article about optics. It explains the information in a very easy to use format. I would suggest you go there and look at it. It answered my questions very thoroughly.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:31 PM

I'm in the same boat. Cabelas is one of the better priced places I have seen for new. I also checked out Ebay and saw pretty good deals there on the higher end optics. Not sure if that helps, but I'll be keeping a close eye on what info you get on your post!
Old 01-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/BirdW.html

That article should help to answer your questions....and a whole lot more.

For the price I think the Bushnell Buckhorns from Cabelas are an excellent $100 and under full sized binocular. If you are looking for something a bit more compact but with very good image quality then the Bushnell Legend 10x26 definitely it worth considering. Price is, again, right around $100 at Cabelas.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:18 PM

Here is another good article.

[link]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/inthefield/fieldguides/guidebooks-story-1.jhtml;jsessionid=QFJ1Q5024IO2TTQSNOHCCNWOCJVZCIW E?hierarchyId=83&contentId=binobuyersguide_710023_ all&rid=0119511032802&_requestid=61901[/link]