Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Most Over-rated Binoculars???

Old 12-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Most Over-rated Binoculars???

What binoculars are the worst bang for the buck? Not including the cheapy $20 pairs.

My vote goes to Steiner. Way over-priced when compared to something of equal or even lesser value.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:37 PM

Default RE: Most Over-rated Binoculars???

My vote goes to Zeiss. I use a $700 pair of Kahles, which I like & used a pair of Zeiss my guide had. Absolutely no better than my kahles.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

swisslake, I agree with the quality of the Kahles. They're great for the money.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Swarovski with Zeiss as a close runner up.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:01 PM

Swarovski and Zeiss. I have a pair of Nikon EL's that IMHO meet and/or exceed either of the other at a bit less money.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:43 AM

I hunt with guys who have Swarovski, they told me they are the only thing to use. I couldn't afford them. So I looked at Steiner, didn't like the price of them and moved to Leupold and liked them but when at the shop comparing them one on one with the Store's recommendation NIKON, I could see a difference. I saved $150 and bought the Nikons.

Only difference in my opinion is the amount of light brought in at dusk. The high end binocs bring more light into the view. But the Nikons are a million times better than the Bushnell 10 x 50's I had.

Nikon also has a 25 year - no fault warranty. The others only cover mfger defects. I tend to be hard on my equipment.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:05 AM

all of'em cept the brunton eterna's that I carry.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:36 PM
Typical Buck

What binoculars are the worst bang for the buck?
Not sure, but I can tell everyone that it's not Leica...great glass - great company.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my father a pair of Pentax 10X50's. They were clear and did well for about a couple months. Then they focus dial quit working. I sent them back, and they replaced the binocs....

Ever since they have been great. I'd give them a thumbs up. Even though they malfunctioned, the company made it right, and that's worth a lot anymore.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Any of them over $1000 and under $100.

I am joking ofcourse. Personally, I was not very excited by the Steiners either though I do not know if I would call them over-rated. There are so many excellent binoculars currently on the market in the various price ranges that I do not know if I really can think of one that is drastically overpriced or overrated....though I think those Swarovski ELs should come down about $400 in price when you compare them to the other high end offerings from Leica, Zeiss and Nikon.

Also, about those comments regarding the Zeiss binos...do you folks know which model Zeiss they were actually using? Zeiss is probably the only one out of the big three that produces binos at several price points...including at least two particular models in the $300-$500 range. These models do not come close to comparing with their new Victory FL which is, arguably, the brightest and most highly regarded new binocular on the market.

Quick Reply: Most Over-rated Binoculars???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.