Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Most Over-rated Binoculars???

Old 01-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Most Over-rated Binoculars???

Kshunter,

True, to an extent. I have seen many rubber eyecups started to chip and crack over time. However, they weren't on Zeiss binoculars.

The rubber eyecups aren't that bad as they can be folded over to allow a more comfortable fit. I do prefer the newer designs though as they can be custom adjusted to fit any particular individual.

I also agree with Red above. The Nikon Monarchs and Zeiss Conquest series both are excellent buys for those folks who want close to top end performance without paying top end prices. Throw in the Pentax DCF-SP, XP and WP lines as well.

I just invested in two Nikon Venturer LXs. The local Cabelas had them in their Bargain Cave for between $300 and $400. For that price I could not resist and bought both. These binoculars are on par with the upper end Zeiss, Leica, Swaro, etc... Both were listed as "factory repaired". One I could not find a single thing wrong with but the other has a slightly loose focus knob and what looks like moisture marks on one of the inside elements. Nikon has a "No-Fault" policy in terms of repairs....under warranty. If it isn't under warranty then they ask for a $10 charge plus shipping to repair the binocular. That sounds pretty darn good in my opinion and one reason I will continue to buy their products.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:52 PM

Default RE: Most Over-rated Binoculars???

I think you get what you pay for, the differences are small, but when you spend several hours looking through them, that little difference means the world.