Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Most Over-rated Binoculars???

Old 01-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Most Over-rated Binoculars???

PABowhntr,

I used a pair of Zeiss Classic's for a while, and I used them hard, and they worked awesome for me. I had a buddy with a pair of Steiners, and was literally about to throw them in the ditch, they were that bad. Too bad there isn't much for the Classics anymore, except for Cabelas. They were on sale a year back for $599, which was a heck of a deal IMO, for that quality of glass.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Two Beards

What binoculars are the worst bang for the buck?
Not sure, but I can tell everyone that it's not Leica...great glass - great company.

+1, on what he said.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Too bad there isn't much for the Classics anymore, except for Cabelas. They were on sale a year back for $599, which was a heck of a deal IMO, for that quality of glass.
Cabelas does still have them on sale for $699. I see them there regularly when I stop in the optics counter. A great deal in my opinion....I just wish they had the newer style eye cups.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:59 AM

dont get much of a chance to use them , but I have looked thru a few of the Steiner's and wasnt impressed for what was pd for them
Old 01-08-2005, 02:03 PM

My Barska's 10x42 are basically garbage. I guess I expected to much from an $80 pair of nocs.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:41 PM

I honestly wonder if the guys who are saying ZEISS/SWAROVSKI etc... have ever actually hunted with anything other than their Simmons/Trashco/Bushnell/etc...??? One even said, "Other than the lowlight performance, my binocs are just as good as my buddies Swarovski's..." HELLO??? Isn't that what you pay for and why you want them? [:'(]

IMHO the most overpriced binoculars are the ones built in China and sold for anything less than $10-$250. There isn't .10c difference between the WHOLE LOT of them in that range.

Now for the money the best thing going is the ATB Monarch from Nikon and the Conquest series from Zeiss. As for Steiner, what series are you guys looking through? I would lay odds it was the old 8x30 Military/Marine series. For $199 see my above recommendation. But have you looked through a porro prism set like the various Bighorns? What about roof prisms like the Merlin series? They are absolutely on par with ANYTHING else within a couple hundred dollars of their price range.

The guys with $100-$200 binocs will see what we are talking about in 5-10-15 years when they have to replace their binoculars because of leaks or collimation problems. For the guys who bought the better stuff, their only decisions will be which grandchild to hand them down too?
RA
Old 01-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

The guys with $100-$200 binocs will see what we are talking about in 5-10-15 years when they have to replace their binoculars because of leaks or collimation problems. For the guys who bought the better stuff, their only decisions will be which grandchild to hand them down too?
RA
Amen to that. I spent more money flushed down the toilet buying off brands before I wised up . I could have easily bought a pair of Leica,Swarovski,Nikon or similiar brand with the money I threw away.t
Old 01-11-2005, 10:22 AM

This has all been helpful as I am ready to make the plunge myself-keep the info coming!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:51 AM
etw

With my glasses ON MY FACE the only binocs I have found worth ANY price are the Olympus Magellan 8x42. They "hinge" to fit my face and have an awesome clear, large field of view with my glasses on.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

PA, yeah Cabelas made a deal with Zeiss for those Classics. I agree on the eye cups too. I wish they didn't have the old design, but being like that also makes them less acceptable to breaking. So it seesm you loose one thing but gain another. But with a lifetime warranty, does it really matter?...

Quick Reply: Most Over-rated Binoculars???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.