Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

garmin topo cd

Old 12-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Spike

Default garmin topo cd

hello all , hope everyone had a good xmas. I have been using a garmin etrex vista for several years. I go to colo. elk hunting. I was wanting some input on the topo cd.How much data does it show on your gps? I would be glad to hear from anyone that has used it. thanks
Old 12-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: garmin topo cd

One Word............Fantastic. I have the Vista myself and the Mapsource Topo is an exellent deal. It gives great detail and is easy to upload your tracks for the day on the computer. The detail is just as good as a map showing elevations and contour. It's also great to check out area's on your computer through topo and make notes then transfer them to your unit. Look on eBay for a much better price than retail.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Garmin Topo is a great buy! A great product for a great unit.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies. Can u pan out with it and see the elevations and contour for say a half mile. Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: elkkrazy

Can u pan out with it and see the elevations and contour for say a half mile. Thanks again.
You can pan in and out. The more you pan out the less detail it shows.
What I would do is if you know the area in CO that your giong to hunt I would get familiar with they area on my computer in Topo. The only downside to the GPS unit is that you are looking at a small screen as when you pan out the screen can't fit all the info in for a huge area. I would also suggest if you are that unfamiliar with the area then have a topo map and compass and use them together. It would be a good safety feature if you broke your unit. Map and compass are under $10 and good insurance.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:18 PM
Spike

Thanks bob, I have hunted the area for 2 years. Iknow it pretty good. There is alot of acres though. I have a topo map its great, wouldnt leave home with out it.Thanks for the info.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:27 PM

i have the vista as well. I just got the metroguide cd's and now need the topo set. Still trying to figure the gps out. Just wondering if you guys have any good pointers on what you do with your units.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

dwalts
I am not good at directions so I went out and got the training dvd. It helped 100%. It shows all the features as well as how to use them.This is a must have.
Here's one one ebay for a etrex. Need to find one for your unit as this one is not for the Vista
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...741283866&rd=1
Old 12-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

Having a GPS with a topo map I have found to be very useful. You can cross check your map with the GPS to find exactly where you are at. The GPS topo will show detail down to the streams and other features in your area. And by scrolling it will give your altitude which a GPS w/o the topo only gives you a ballpark reading.