Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cold Feet?

Old 12-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cold Feet?

I just wear my Wolverine boots with 800 grams insulate, wool socks and if it's really cold, I put a foot warmer in each toe.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:02 PM

I went into Dicks Sporting Goods and looked around and ended up buying a pair of Rocky Timberwolf boots, they have 1000 thinsulate, 1000 condura, moisture wicking lining and Vibram soles. It was kinda a hassle to buy them.. The salesman told me they were on sale for $69 and I get up to the counter and they said that'll be $129... I told her what the guy had told me and I ended up paying like $74 for them. I havn't really been able to test them yet. I went shopping before I read this and I bought a size bigger now I'm glad I did.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:52 AM

I think the most common error people make regarding this is wearing too tight boots and cotton socks!

I never use anything but a single layer of good wool socks and one sise too big rubber boots from winter tree stand in Sweden to rock ptarmigan hunting in the Icelandic highlands at winter!

Regards
Old 01-03-2005, 06:49 AM

http://www.arcticshield.com/hunting/boot.html

check this site out. I have the same problems with my feet getting cold once I sit still. You can keep these in your pack untill you get to where your going to sit and then put them on over your boots. I've never used them but I will find something to keep my feet warm before next years elk season.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

those poly pro thin liners always make my feet feel clammy[&:] i would much rather wear a thin pair of wool and then another pare heavier wool socks over those. i suspect the liners may pull away the moisture but being so thin cant get rid or transfer the moisture away to the over wool sock. JUST A THEORY
Old 01-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ARSAKO

I think the most common error people make regarding this is wearing too tight boots and cotton socks!
Very true what some of the others have said. Try to keep your feet dry which means when hiking in try to do it on the cold side until you get your spot, then put on your hat and outer layer to keep yourself from sweating. Also, no matter how thick the boot make sure it has extra room with thick socks, either poly or wool socks that is. I duck hunt in the teens in 600 gram boots in wet waders and my feet aren't cold. Another old rule- if your hands and feet are cold put on a warmer hat. One last thought- NO COTTON!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:19 PM

I have a pair of Georgia 2000 gram thinsilate leather boots. I have had them for six years and they now have a hole in each toe. They are by far the warmest pair of boots I have ever owned. My feet do sweat in them but they still keep my feet nice and toasty in 0 degree weather. They have a removeable foot bed in them that I take out every night. I also put them on a boot dryer at night and let the inside of them dry out. They dont make this boot any more but there are 2000 gram rubber boots and my brother in law has a pair of them. He tells me he can feel the heat reflecting back to his feet while he is sitting in the stand. I think if it were me and it will be next year I would try a pair of them. Just my opinion.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Spike

Call me crazy, but this is what I do. I wear my Rocky uninsulated snake boots. They are big enough for me to wear a pair of thin wool socks. I took a old military down sleeping bag and cut it off to where it comes up about six inches above my waist. I reattach the zipper stop and use fabric paint to camo the bag. I walk to my hunting area, climb the tree with my Ol"Man climber, and then loosen my boots, or even take them off sometimes and slip into the bag. The bag doesn't weigh much at all. It also keeps my legs warm, so I never wear insulated coveralls. No cold feet here.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:51 AM

The boots below are the best I have ever worn for cold weather. I can wear ankle socks and my feet arent cold.

The first boot of its kind with Triple-Insulation and still the best in its class. It's the perfect boot for the most rigorous cold weather demands. Cold Temp Rating -85/ to -150. 100% waterproof, full-grain leather upper. Superior cold weather polymeric foam insulation with Thinsulate Insulation plus a removable foam liner with 9mm felt sole. Felt midsole for comfort and warmth. Trac-Lite outsole for traction in snow and ice. Fiberglass shank for arch support. Weight: 7.4lbs per pair..

Feel much lighter than the above weight.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:52 AM

only $100 now ...bought mine 2yrs ago...last cold weather boot you'll need