Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which binoculars for my husband?

Old 12-16-2004, 04:27 PM

Default Which binoculars for my husband?

My husband has asked for binoculars for Christmas. I'm inclined to get the best although he has said the Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 or Leupold Wind River Mesa 10x50 are fine. He will be hunting primarily in the Texas Hill Country, but some south Texas. Would love any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which binoculars for my husband?

I have a set of the Leupold Wind River's and they suit me fine. I would suggest however that you check out eBay for your prices. I have found optics there which have saved me $100's and there brand new. I usually price them in the store or at Cabela's and can find them cheaper on eBay
Old 12-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

What price range?
Old 12-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Cabela's has discontinued Zeiss ClassiC 10x40's on special for $700. I've looked through comparable Swarovki's that were priced at twice as much. The Zeiss's were fully the equal at half the price. If your willing to spend the money I don't think you could do any better that the Zeiss ClassiC's.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

The two sets you mentioned are porro prism binoculars. They generally are substantially less expensive than their roof prism counterparts while still providing an excellent image. The downside is that they are a bit bigger/bulkier and generally are not waterproof. Either of the two you mentioned would be a good choice if we are referring to that type of binocular. If you were to consider a roof prism binocular then consider these suggestions in the various price ranges......

$100-$200
Bushnell Buckhorn, H20, Trophy
Nikon Sporter
Carson XM or WK series
Brunton Lite-Tech

$250-$350 price range:

Nikon Monarch ATB
Bushnell Legend
WindRiver Olympics
Burris Signature
Zeiss Diafun
Brunton Eterna

$400-$600
WindRiver Pinnacles
Zeiss Conquest
Pentax DCF-SPs

$700-$900
Steiner (various series)
Kahles (a division of Swarovski)
Pentax DCF-SPs

Over $900
Swarovski
Leica
Zeiss
Upper End Nikon
Brunton Epochs

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:26 PM

Brunton Eternas get my vote.I have 7x42,ideal for hunting bird watching sports,light ,clear,won't break the bank and in the case they float!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:40 PM

well, my husband says I don't need to spend too much, but since he just bought me a very nice beretta shotgun for our anniversary....I'd like to make sure he has something nice! $700 may be a bit steep, but say $500 or so. The Leupolds say they are waterproof...should I believe that...or is it more of a "water resistance" thing?? Our ranch is near Brady if topography matter too much. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

This might help.

http://www.opticsgiant.com

Try this.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:30 AM

I suggest Leupold's Wind River Katmai, ~$390. The 8x32mm packs some awesome punch!

Kimberly
-------------------
Field Staff Writer, WomenHunters
Old 12-18-2004, 10:45 PM

Before buying anything look at the Pentax DCF WP bino's. Unbelievable performance for the price. Awesome.

Quick Reply: Which binoculars for my husband?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.