Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which binoculars for my husband?

Old 12-19-2004, 08:55 AM

Default RE: Which binoculars for my husband?

Well Ive always used Brunton binos, but this year I bought a pair of the Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 s like the ones you mentioned, and was very dissappointed, I realized after I got them home that they arent water proof, fogprof, or even water resistant, it seemed every time I wanted to look at something, they were fogged up, and they were pretty heavy. I returned them and am going back to my Bruntons. Id check out some of the Brunton line, or the Burris Landmark, Im going to check out the Burris binos further before I make a decision.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd like to make sure he has something nice! $700 may be a bit steep, but say $500 or so.
At that price point the Zeiss Conquest line, the Wind River Pinnacles or the 8x43 Pentax DCF-SPs would all fit the bill. Hilly Texas country would probably lend itself more to a 10x binocular though considering some of the distances that are glassed at. 8x would still be a strong contender though. I would not go with anything smaller than a 30 mm objective diameter and a 40 mm or higher would probably be recommned for most low light conditions.

Good luck. I hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

For the money the Pentax DCF-SP's are pretty darn good set of nocs, I have the 10x43's and have been extremely pleased. I also own the PCF-WP Porro Prism in 10 & 12 x50's they also have been good but liked mentioned are bit heavier than Roof Prism bino's and now generally see limited field duty.

Also been pleased with my Bushnell Legend Compacts but I don't think these are what he is looking for and I honestly haved looked at the larger mag models they offer.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

My best hunting buddy had a Nikon riflescope fail on a recent outing. Some water got inside the rings, and subsequently froze, which resulted in decompression (and permanent fog).

He scrapped it for a Leupold the next day. Nikon offered a replacement of the same unit, but he told them to keep it. I guess it would be hard to re-mount the same scope that failed you once already. His request for a cash refund was refused.

I've heard that Leupold customer service is exceptional, but I have (knock on wood) never had the pleasure.

I'm slowly turning over all my optics to Leupold.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Spike

i have leupold binocs and scopes and if in a rare case you have any problems as you can with any binos , leupold has a customer service that is second to none!!!! your products that you return for any problems will be on a ups truck longer than they are at leupold . but i doubt you have any problems with leos.