Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Wearing Glasses and Using Binocs

Old 12-08-2004, 09:29 AM
etw

Default Wearing Glasses and Using Binocs

Does anyone have a pair of binoculars that they can see a full field while wearing your glasses? I have an old pair of Baush & Lomb that were given to me many years ago that provide good service IF I take off my glasses. I recently looked tru about 50 pair of binocs and found a pair of Olympus magellin EXPWP1 binocs that brought a smile to my face but at a cost of $279, out of my price range. Any others out there with what I GUESS is long eye relief?? Suggestions???
Old 12-08-2004, 09:52 AM

Default RE: Wearing Glasses and Using Binocs

You know, just this past weekend I had the same experience. My buddy had bought a $25 pair of Simmons 10x50 full-size binoculars from Wal-Mart, and they worked just perfectly for me with my glasses on (I just folded down the rubber eyepieces on the binocs and pressed them to my eyeglass lenses). For the first time in my life, I was able to see really well through binoculars while wearing my glasses.

Yeah, I know, they're cheap Chinese junk, and you can't get a good pair of binoculars for $25. But these worked really well for me, even in very low light.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also wear glasses so I must consider eye relief when buying optics. The best binos that I have used are the B&L Discoverers and the Nikon Monarchs, both are excellent mid-range binos with excellent eye relief fo ya. They are also both very good quality optics, I would have to give the nod to the B&L's for overall optical clarity.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:32 PM

I wear glasses and use my Leupold Wind River 10X42 Cascades very comfortably. They have a long eye relief and I use them all day very comfortably.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have tryed dozens of pair of binocs and I have not found a pair that are ok let alone good with my glasses on .

I just have to push up my glasses
Old 12-10-2004, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just have to push up my glasses
Same here. I'm on a tight budget this season anyway, so I'll have to wait for better binoculars. I don't care for Simmons optics, and I don't care to buy from Red China. Oh well....
Old 12-11-2004, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats one of the main reasons I went to wearing contacts.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:07 PM

I used to never take binos to the field hunting for the same reason. I couldn't look through them w/o taking my glasses off which was a pain in the rear. But....then I bought a pair of Pentax 10x50 PCF's with long eye relief and now I never go hunting without them! I now have 2 pairs of them. The first pair had fold down rubber eyecups and the newer pair has eyepieces that slide in and out for eyeglass users. I can see perfectly through them with my glasses on and they provide a full field of view also. They are priced cheaper now than when I bought mine plus Pentax has a rebate going on them until the end of the year which almost makes them a steal! Below is the link....you might want to check them out....they would make a nice Xmas present to you from you!!

Pentax PCF binoculars
Old 12-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

I also wear glasses and I bought a pair of Nikon Travel Lite 8x25. The sales person took me out side to try several different makes and models, but saved the 8x25 for last. I was really surprised that the field of view was much better and the clarity was better than the 10x. I don't hunt in the wide open spaces that alot of people hunt (Wisconsin woodlots mainly)
so these work extremly well for me. So if you are looking for a pair of binocs for glassing while bow hunting or gun hunting wooded areas where 400-500 yds is max distance try the 8x.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

Minox. They have an adjustable eye piece for folks who wear glasses like myself. They are more than $279.00. Save for some good optics is my advice. Buy a cheap rifle, but never buy cheap optics. You get what you paid for when it comes to glass.