Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

zeiss scopes

Old 12-06-2004, 02:04 PM

Default zeiss scopes

Can someone tell me how the conquest scopes compair to others such as nikon and leupold in low light conditions?I want the best low light scope for under lets say 600 dollars and less.I have found the conquest 3.5x10x44 for 470 dollars.Let me know which ones are the best.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: zeiss scopes

I have the same scope mentioned on my 7mm rem mag, so pleased I bought a second 3x9x40 Conquest for my MLer both saw plenty of low light action and couldn't be more satisfied. I compared it to my Leupold Vari X III and a new VX III it is both brighter, sharper and clearer. POI tracking has been right on the money and it hasn't moved zero (this after being straped in a koplin gunboot for 2 - 1 week hunts in the forest). The z-plex reticle is another feature that sold me on the conquest, it is a very good day and lowlight hunting reticle to my eyes it seems to jump out when I acquire.

The only nikon I viewed this year was a Gold with limited real comparison (in store and behind) the Gold and Conquest stood pretty much equal and better than VX III IMHO. Now that I have a true fixed eye relief scope I really like it and both the Gold and Conquest offer this.

Never tested the Monarch so can't comment.

Good luck, hope it helps.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't comment on the Nikon, but I have quite a bit of experience with the Zeiss Conquests and Leupold Vari X III's and limited experience with the new Leupold VX III. It's no contest in my opinion, the Zeiss Conquests are just plain better. They offer better low light performance and better resolution in all light conditions. The 3.5-10x44 Conquest should be an excellent scope. I don't have that particular model yet, but it's just a matter of time before I buy one.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:40 PM

Thanks guys.This may sound a bit crazy but i have an old redfield 3x9x40 on my 7mm.I do not even know the model but it is a great scope.I would put it up against any of the leupold that i have personally used in the past.I just bought a 6mm with a 3x9x40 monarch.I am going to give that scope to my father-in-law for christmas,to me it looks like you are looking through a tunnel,I can see alot of black even when my eye is positioned correctly,and the crosshairs do not stand out very good.I am going to put the redfield on the 6mm and the new scope will be for my 7mm.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Zeiss and VXIII and they are both great scopes. I think the Zeiss might edge out the Leupold a hair but not much.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:32 PM

bump
Old 12-15-2004, 04:59 PM

utica, i was intentending to buy my wife a Var.X3 last year, but was recommended by my dealer to look at a Zeiss. I was not interested in anything but the Luepold, TILL I LOOKED AT THAT CONQUEST!!!!!!
The varX 3 may be just slightly crisper in daylight hours, but there is NO comparison in low light conditions. That Conquest smoked it!!!!!!!!!
Check it out for yourself-
Old 12-18-2004, 06:04 PM

I have just ben checking on the nikon monarch gold 2.5x10x50 for around $520.How would it compare to the zeiss??
Old 12-18-2004, 10:42 PM

Just this week I was in the market for a scope. Conquest vs. VX-III vs. Elite 4200. The Conquest seemed to be very finicky about eye position. The slightest movement side to side and the picture would disappear. I tested in the afternoon just before dark and the Bushnell Elite 4200 seemed to be the brightest and the sharpest of the 3. The eye position problem of the Zeiss along witht the extra weight and length over the VX-III made my decision. I went with the plan of buying the Zeiss but left with the VX-III 3.5-10x40. The deciding factor was mainly based on my other Leupolds and the fact I've never had any trouble with them. I would have bought the 4200 but eye relief was considorably shorter than the other 2.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have just ben checking on the nikon monarch gold 2.5x10x50 for around $520.How would it compare to the zeiss??
As I mentioned albeit it limited in comparison I was impressed with the Gold optically and it does have 4" of fixed eye relief (44mm Conquest has 3.5"). However the weight at 21 oz (IMO) is huge! I also didn't care for side focus or 30mm tube on my biggame rifle. Optically I honestly couldn't tell any difference between it and the Conquest.

As you can tell by the responses optical quality perception is based on personal preference, therefore it is best to determine which you feel will perform the best by looking through them in person. I doubt you'd dislike any good quality scope for most biggame situations. I am very pleased with the 2 Zeiss Conquest I bought and consider them to be a pretty good scope in their range...maybe not the best overall but certainly no slouch and in low light they better my Leupolds and Elites. Daylight all work JFL.

Quick Reply: zeiss scopes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.