Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting Knife

Old 07-17-2002, 06:52 PM

Default Hunting Knife

I need a knife for cleaning deer/hogs. I am thinking about buying a custom knife from a guy for $125. He and I cleaned a hog and I was really impressed.

Question is - is there a mass produced knife in the $50-75 range that can clean an entire deer or hog without dulling? Otherwise, I'm going with the custom knife.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2002, 06:19 PM

Default RE: Hunting Knife

look at knives of alaska, i use them as a guide to clean and butcher moose and elk without sharpening. I think you would be very impressed
Old 07-21-2002, 08:56 AM
nub

Try doing a search for CutCo.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Spike

I have several knives that I am fond of. It is almost a hobby to collect "working/hunting" knifes. Based on what you have indicated, I'd say you are looking for a fixed blade knife. I too have used Knives of Alaska. I indicated a story in another thread about my satisfaction with the knife and company. 100% quality. The mini skinner is about $65-75 with a rubber non-slip handle. It is a unique shape, but will serve you well for skinning and deboning your game. Like every knife, it does need sharpening, but seemed to hold an edge for a considerable time. I have also been pleased with teh grohmann knife. The custom knife price looks a little light, I can only recommend that it have a full tang, make sure it is quality steel and has a good durable sheath. Good luck
Old 07-23-2002, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

I'm sold on CUTCO knives. I have the drop tine in the pic below with the Double-D edge. I've used it for 4 years now. Even let a guy in my Sunday school class use it for his sales demonstrations last year (no telling how many pieces of rawhide it cut.) It was still sharp. I sent it back to the factory for a resharpening ($5.00) just for my elk trip this fall.
CUTCO Outdoor Knife

http://www.hotspothunting.com/common...end=0&id=18984

Romans 8:28
Old 07-27-2002, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

My dad uses a ColdSteel knife and its a very sharp knife. We used two of these to dress out some pigs we got and never had to stop to resharpen the blade on either one. These are good knifes if you ever consider getting another knife.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Live to hunt, hunt to live, be the eyes of the hawk <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>