Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Trail Cameras?

Old 12-04-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Trail Cameras?

I am looking to purchase a trail camera to observe grain feeders and food plots. I would like input on digital vs 35mm and brands that have worked well and not so well. What problems should I watch out for? This is new territory for me so any help would be appreciated!
Old 12-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trail Cameras?

I have 2, one of each type and I have'nt even put the 35mm out this year, if you plan on taking many pictures and have the equipment already to view the digitals with it is the only way IMO, I have the Cuddeback and taken about 3500 pictures this year and just on my 3rd set of batteries, I knew when I bought it that they said you could get up toward 1500 pictures out of 1 set of 4 d-cell batteries but I did'nt think they would do near that. The benefits of a digital are numerous, For one thing you don't have to buy any film and pay for developing it. Another thing is when I used the 35 mm I had it set to where it would'nt take anymore than 1 picture every 10 minutes, I was missing alot of good pics. Probably the thing I like best is there is no waiting, just pull the card out and stick it in your computer and you have your photos, delete what you want, save what you want and print the best ones. The Cuddeback has paid for it self already in savings, not to mention the other benefits. IMO a Digital is the only way to go, I wish I had bought one a few years earlier.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used several different cams including a few Digis. The Stealth 3MP Digi I was not happy with at all, the main reason was the fact that it ate the 8AA's batteries every 4 to 5 days! I also found MANY of my pics just had deer rumps exiting the photo. I then exchanged these for Cuddeback units. They, IMO, are a much better unit and batts last for about a month. There are just a few things on the Cuddeback that I would like to see changed however. I have also tried a Leaf River Digi and this unit, IMO, is THE best one I've tried. In fact, I sent our other units back to Cabela's in exchange for more Leaf Rivers! These units have 2 month battery life, excellent features and options, incredibly easy set-up, and just flat out takes a high quality pic. The only thing I do differently with my LRs is add a MasterLock Pyton to secure and theft proof the units. http://www.jesseshunting.com/site/if...FosCommerce%2F has the LR models with the LCD screen for $319. That's a great buy on a great cam!

Compare the features of the Leaf River with any cam out there and decide for yourself?

Features:

Camera: Digital camera gives you instant picture display on a 1.6" LCD screen. The display screen has a 1X to 4X digital zoom and gives you the option to delete unwanted pictures immediately. Select low, medium or high resolution settings: low is 1.3 megapixel, medium is 2.1 megapixel and high gives you a possible 4-megapixel resolution with the use of software interpolation. Internal 18 Mb memory stores up to 50 still pictures, and you can even choose to record three or 90-second video clips. Memory full icon.
Camera Storage Media: Uses removeable Compact Flash (CF) Cards to store pics. System will support CF card capacity up to 3 GB. Number of pics depends on card capacity.
Independant Camera Use: No, you cannot take the camera out of the unit to use.
Camera Exposure: -1.5EV to +1.5EV and is user adjustable
Camera White Balance: 5 settings of Daylight, Horizon, A Light, Office and Old Picture
Camera Wakeup Delay: 3 to 5 seconds
Outputs: TV Out connection port for viewing pictures on a TV. RCA connectors to TV
Camera Flash: Oversized flash for increased nighttime range. Flash range is 30 feet. Forced flash option if you want flash during daytime to fill in shadows
Manual picture mode: Use this to take a test pic to see what your camera sees. 10 second self timer for manual picture.
Self Picture Mode: Yes
Power Requirements: Uses 4 "D" and 3 "C" cell alkaline or rechargeable batteries
Battery Condition Indicator: Yes, 2 battery-strength icons to view battery condition of camera and sensor
Battery Life: Approximately 2 months.
Data Imprinted On Picture: Yes, day and time
Operation Settings: Choice of Day, Night or 24 hour operation
External Picture Count Observation Window: No.
Picture Delay: Can be set to take one, two or three pictures before entering adjustable pause setting (1-90 minutes). 8 Pause settings of 1, 3, 5, 10, 20, 30, 60 and 90 minutes
Event Counter: Yes, records date and time of 400 events
Detection Method: Passive infrared motion detector which is designed to detect heat in motion within a conical area. Generally speaking, the cooler the air the greater the detection distance (this characteristic is true for all passive/motion sensors).
Sensor Sensitivity: Infrared motion-detection system has a sensitivity adjustment to adjust sensor range
Waterproof: Yes, gasket sealed housing
Case: ABS plastic
Walk Test Light: Walk test LED light for set up
Display: Backlighted viewing and control display to help you see at night when setting up cam
Lock or Antitheft Capability: Steel mounting bracket and steel bar for mounting and securing the unit. User must supply lock and cable.
Sound Insulation: Not needed for digital cameras
On/Off Switch: External On/Off rocker switch
Camo: Mossy Oak Break-Up Camo
Temp range: -20 Deg. C (-4 Deg. F) to 60 Deg. C (140 Deg. F)
Size: 6 1/4" w x 7 1/2" h x 4 3/4" d
Weight: 4 lbs. 1 oz. with batteries and lock bar
Includes: USB cable for computer compatibility, RCA cable, green mounting strap, user manual and picture-editing CD-ROM software.
Warranty: 1 year parts and labor limited warranty

As you can see, the Leaf River is most certainly worth a very serious look!
Old 12-05-2004, 02:41 PM

I am happy with this one, can't beat the price for a digital game camera!
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=162084

Old 12-06-2004, 05:48 AM

Yeah Dicks sporting goods has that same cam on sale for $99 bucks.....may have to get one as a back up to my Leaf Digital of which I think is the best bang for the buck....hard to beat the Leaf it is an excellent cam !
Old 12-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have any more pix from that digital??? The one you posted isn't a good pic to judge any sort of quality. In fact, the flash looks extremely week? The deer appears to be practically on top of the cam yet the flash barely lit it up? Also, is there any sort of time date stamp or any way of telling the viewer when the pic was taken?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

Do you have any more pix from that digital??? The one you posted isn't a good pic to judge any sort of quality. In fact, the flash looks extremely week? The deer appears to be practically on top of the cam yet the flash barely lit it up? Also, is there any sort of time date stamp or any way of telling the viewer when the pic was taken?
Do you see the doe in the background on the first pic? I have the date time stamp turned off cause I check the pics each day. Lets see $100.00 verses your $300.00 cam. Pics look pretty good to me for the money especially if it gets stollen. I agree there are better cams out there but all I am trying to do is see what is on my property not submit pictures for national geographic. Heres another pic!

Old 12-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Geeeee, you're defensive man? BUT,.... in all honesty, I'm looking at your pix through a 17" flat screen and dude they really suck! CHEAP is certainly the name of that cam. I say when I pay my hard earned money on ANY cam I want to SEE the pix! Yours are waaaayyy to dark and it is obvious that the deer are right on top of the unit and we can still barely see 'em? Imagine all the feedback and serious scouting/observation info that you are missing simply because you want to save a dime. I admit, that it is an option for someone not wanting to spend any money but I certainy wouldn't want to suggest the thing to to many folks?

LR photos

Here's one at the first minutes of legal shooting light

Here's one from a good distance away of our white/blonde 'yote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is some pictures from my Cuddeback.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool pix, thanks for posting! Here are a couple more from my Cuddeback.

Quick Reply: Trail Cameras?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.