Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Socks

Old 07-09-2002, 03:18 PM

Default Socks

What sock combination do you recommend with rubber boots that are either uninsulated or insulated??
Old 07-14-2002, 08:06 AM
Spike

Default RE: Socks

ram...I wear uninsulated rubber boots all the time deer hunting in Maine. Try the Columbia or LLBean "Smartwool" socks. I wear one pair solo, but bring an extra pair of socks with me to change up if I want later in the day. I don't think there is any way to keep from getting sweaty feet in rubber boots. DLuke
Old 07-15-2002, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Smartwool for sure. Comes on different weihts for different applications and temps. - Good Stuff!
Old 07-15-2002, 03:22 PM
Spike

I've noticed with rubber boots, one way or another, you will sweat. And no matter how well socks "wick" it away, it is captive in the boots and you will get cold if the temperature is low. I've always liked to take off my boot and sock late morning, give a real thorough rub down to my feet, and put on new dry socks....oooh boy, toasty after that!
Old 07-15-2002, 08:48 PM

I have a pair of insulated hodgmans and i wear a pair of thin blue polyester (its not polyester but it feels like it) type socks and a pair of wigwam outlast wool socks. the polyester type socks wick the sweat away from your feet into the wool socks keeping your feet dry. also when im not wearing rubber boots, i have a pair of rocky gore tex socks that i wear that not only keep my feet dry but do better at keeping them warm than wool socks, however, i wouldn't wear them in a non breatheable rubber boot because it would be like a sauna leaving your socks miserable