Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

SAFETY HARNESS WOES

Old 11-16-2004, 07:40 AM
Spike

Default SAFETY HARNESS WOES

I would appreciate a recommendation for a good safety harness for bowhunters. My full harness interferes with turning to face the tree for a shot from behind. I am also disappointed in the lack of simplicity for most full harnesses. Would a shoulder harness be less restrictive? I'm sure it would be more simple.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Spike

Default RE: SAFETY HARNESS WOES

In addition to Sam's requests, does anyone know where to find harnesses for someone that doesn't exactly fit the "normal" sizes. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm hardley a fat slob that sits in a tree, but thanks to countless hours in the weight room, I have broad shoulders, and a thick chest. The harnesses that come with the stands don't have any adjustment in the straps for the torso. Straps that should be at my waist end up around my chest. Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 Summit fastback harness it is simple to figure out , easy to put on and easy to ajust . Also it works ,I tested it out a few weeks ago the hard way. I got 1 with a stand and liked it so much I bought a spare $ 39.99 to leave in the truck if I forgot to put it in the pack.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:27 PM

ORIGINAL: johnch

I have 2 Summit fastback harness it is simple to figure out , easy to put on and easy to ajust . Also it works ,I tested it out a few weeks ago the hard way. I got 1 with a stand and liked it so much I bought a spare $ 39.99 to leave in the truck if I forgot to put it in the pack.
I don't know if its the same harness, but I've also used the harness that came with the Summit Viper climber - and it was totally adjustable, including the length of the torso, waist and legs.

As for turning around, I've found that if you leave a couple of feet slack in the safety line, it's no problem. You want to minimize this of course, but it's no big deal. You can turn 180 either right or left. Only thing is you need to turn back the same way to avoid getting twisted up.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

One little trick put the harness on under your coat or outer layer . I find this covers the buckels and straps that could get in the way
Old 11-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Spike

The problem with wearing the harness inside clothing is that it would interfere with a leaning shot (or so I would think). When you hear a sound behind you and turn the wrong way, you are in deep do do if the deer is in view. attempting to do a 360 in order to get a shot is just too much movement. Your chances become less favorable with this scenario.

I just ordered a new harness from Cabela's. It is the Integrated Safety System Vest at $99.95. I know the cost is high for vests but I'll pay for the reduction in aggravation and ease of use. Thanks for the comments. I would still like to hear from other bow hunters on what their favorites are. I do know that some bow hunters prefer a single waist harness.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:41 PM

Hey Sam . . . let us know when you get your harness. Tell us about it and how you like it.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have found that it dosn't if I leave a little slack to the tree rope . The buck I shot last friday I had to shoot around the tree leaning way out . I found I had to try different lengths to leave enough slack in my Summit harness rope.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Spike

John,

I tried the under my coat thing and agree that it is better. Meanwhile, my new harness came in today (see above). I hooked the vest up and it could easily be put on in the dark. I was not extremely pleased with the size of the seatbelt type restraint box and am concerned that the unit might make noise when extending oneself away from the tree. It worked as advertised (while on the ground). I will give a user report on it after getting up the tree a couple of times and moving about with it on.

Sam
Old 11-24-2004, 08:40 AM

I just bought the hunter safety system vest and tried it out last weekend. I absolutely love it, best thing I've seen on the market. It is very comfortable and completely adjustable for fitting. Plus if you buy it in the reversible you can use both as a blaze orange vest and harness all in one. Just my 2 cents though.

Quick Reply: SAFETY HARNESS WOES

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.