Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

SAFETY HARNESS WOES

Old 11-24-2004, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SAFETY HARNESS WOES

I use a rock climber harness. Misty Mountain Harness I figure I'd get the best. If it's good enough to hang from the side of a mountain a thousand feet up it's good enough for 25 feet up in a tree. I use a locking gate beener and 15 feet of climbing rope tied in a big loop that I wrap around the tree, through the loop and hook into beener. I wrap it as high as I can and still be able to sit. If I fall it should have me in a seated position at stand height. You can also use it for hands free stand hanging and leaning completely out of your stand. I once used it in a small tree without a stand. (legs got tired by evening though) If you get a sport model you can adjust the leg loops and fit it on the outside of your clothes. Hope this helps.

FYI I have the Cirque Harness model.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Seat-Of-the-Pants Safety harness from Summit is the one I like, I have 2, one made within a vest that helps keep things all straightened out and then the one that came with my stand, I like both and are not in the way at all for me while in a tree.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Spike

I have been up the tree about 5 times with the integrated system so here is my take on it so far:

Pros: It is simple to use. You have good freedom of movement on the stand. The vest has strong deep pockets.

Cons: The retractor module is too heavy but I would assume that it has to be. The retractor unit is also somewhat bulky but it stows in a vest pocket. The fitting diagram on the upper strap makes noise (I removed it).

Overall, the unit is heavier than I would like. However, it gets easier to use each time and I prefer it to the others that I own.

My recommendation: I definitely recommend a vest but believe that I would like one better without the retractor.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the Hunter Saftey System and it is excellent!!!!!! I wear it a little tight to bring my hunting jacket tight to my body out of the way of my string. Also you can go to REI and buy a climbing strap that you can use to extend the strap to the tree. That way you can turn around and still draw your bow. It also has a deer drag built in. JMO!