Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which summit stand?

Old 11-03-2004, 07:21 AM

Default Which summit stand?

Anyone have experience with the Summit Cobra X4 climber. Good points bad points.
I need a quiet, comfortable stand for both gun and bow hunting and this one looks good to me.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:05 PM

Default RE: Which summit stand?

I have the Summit Bushmaster X4... it's similar to the Cobra but doesn't have the back rest or the bar thing? The seat is very comfortable even without the back rest. I'm a pretty big guy... well, wide anyways. I'm about 5'9" 250lbs and this stand fits me perfect.

The side arms on most climbing restrict shots a bit, and the sumit X4 Cobra isn't an exception. This will make a sitting shot very dificult, so stand up early. The seat slides back when you stand and the platform is plenty sturdy and roomy enough to get a good standing shot.

I tried the stand a few times without the foot rest and after installing it, i don't know how i ever lived without one. That little fold out bar makes you feel like you sitting back in a recliner!

I don't think you can go wrong with any climbers in the summit line.

Good luck!
Old 11-11-2004, 01:13 PM

I used a Summit Viper last week for a couple of days and I'll have to say it's an excellent product - well designed, well made. I would assume any Summit product is top notch.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:18 PM

PS: the only knock I'd have on the Viper is that for packing, it's a little bulky. The parts nest together, but it's not exactly compact. On the other hand, I didn't have any problem with it going through nasty brush and marsh, so it's not a big deal. A friend used another Summit stand - I dont' know the name - it was designed to collapse down more compact for packing. That feature was nice, although I got he impression it was a little "fussier' and not totally intuitive for setting up. The viper is pretty much a no-brainer for setting up. The weight for both, as well as the straps, was about the same.

I also hunted last year with the basic, plain Jane Ol' Man stand (with shooting rail, web seat). This actually is a very excellent stand even though it looks so plain and simple. Super simple, super light, compact when folded, easy to use, and very adequate. More compact than my Summit, but not as comfortable (but acceptable).
Old 11-21-2004, 06:24 PM

viper xls or the new one with the new designs with new stirrups