Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

BSA riflescopes

Old 11-01-2004, 09:30 AM

Default BSA riflescopes

I have been considering a new riflescope for a Savage 112 .300WSM. Sadly, as you know, prices are excessive. I have thought about the BSA Platinum, but some people say they are "junk!" What do you think? Help.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BSA riflescopes

BSA scopes are probably the lowest quality out there. When you buy a scope you get what you pay for. If it's $29.99 that's the quality you get.

I tell people to search ebay for a used Leupold. Yes they are expensive, but they are very much worth it. The thing with a Leupold is they all have a lifetime warranty. You buy one scope to last you the rest of your life. The resale is also good compared to almost any other brand.

If you sight in a Leupold it will stay that way until you switch to a different ammo. It's comical watching guys with bargain scope sight in every year. When eactly do these scopes lose there zero? I sight in every year but have never found my zero to be off with a Leupold scope. Again, they will cost more but you get what you pay for. You should be able to find one for around $200.00-$250.00 new. Look for a VXII, you don't need to buy the VX-III. Natchez shooting supply usually has some prett good deals. I like ebay because if there is a problem you just send to Leupold and they will fix it.

Other quality scopes are the Zeiss, Swavoski, the Bushnell elite series, and some of the Burris scopes.

I am a Law Enforcement sniper and have to rely on quality optics. Just about any large department PD sniper team, FBI, or military snipers use the Leupold scopes.

Just remember, "you get what you pay for" There are no big "rip off" manufacturers when it comes to higher end optic.

Cybersniper
Old 11-02-2004, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

I agree that Leupold is better quality than BSA. However I have had a Bushnell Sportview on my 30-06 for over a decade and the only time it lost its zero was when the front base worked loose. A little Loctite and that solved that. I guess I got lucky.

I won't be buying a BSA anytime soon buy I did forego the Leupold for a new Redfield. The price difference was $400 and I just couldn't justify the extra cash.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

BSA is JUNK

Your Firearm is useless if your scope doesn't work.

A few years ago I was sighting in my .300 win mag, with my 3.5-10X50 leupold, guy next to me came over with his .30-06 and was saying he just got it bore sighted, and got a great price on the scope, it was a BSA, 1 shot the crosshairs fell, I felt bad for him.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Tbonecpa you can easily buy a Leupold 3X9X40 VX-II for less

a 3X9 duplex at Natchez is $279.00

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?c...TOKEN=12087225

or a VX-1 is $199.00 http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?c...TOKEN=12087225

I don't know who told you it was a $400.00 difference, but they were way off.

The Leupold rifleman is even cheaper yet..
Old 11-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

By the way do you want to buy another Bushnell Sportview? I have one I will sell you cheap. Less than $20.00 plus shipping. Actually make it $15.00
Old 11-03-2004, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

I was comparing the Leupold 4.5-14x against my Redfield. Price difference $569 vs. $169. And I would take that Sportview too, that would three that I own that all work like a charm. If you want to see pictures of my trophy room I would be glad to send those to you. Just having fun with this whole topic. You get what you pay for to certain degree but not everyone is going to appreciate the attributes of the Leupold like you do. Isn't America great, we all have choices. Thanks for keeping us safe and I agree that law enforcement/military should have the best.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the comments. Your opinions seem universal. Seems as if BSA would get the word? Did a little research on the Winchester. Their prices look good and you get a box??? Ha!

Winchester riflescopes are marketed by Vanguard USA. The scope is made in Red China. They claim it is a quality scope, but there isn't any solid evidence yet.

I guess that the breaking point is Tasco, that is, there seems to be some satisfaction out there, but I am not going to buy.

I have had VERY good luck with Bushnell - and NOT the Elite- although it is excellent from what I have been told. The Trophy is an excellent scope. Bushnell has a new line called LEGEND. It costs just a little more than the Trophy, and my guess is that it is a pretty good scope.

Although I know that the Leupold is super-good-excellent, I am a little surprised that they felt the need to come out with the RIFLEMAN. I am a little suspicious of them. I would start with a VX-1.