Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Please recommend GPS

Old 10-04-2004, 10:07 PM

Default Please recommend GPS

I need a recommendation on a GPS for the following:

1. Hunting - map deer trails, logging roads, atv roads, scrapes, etc.

2. Mapping - after mapping the items above, transfering them onto a top map

3. Travelling - interstate routes and city maps

Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-05-2004, 09:01 PM

Default RE: Please recommend GPS

Save your money I have one and hardly use it. looks neat on my 4 wheeler though.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 PM

If you hardly use it, please let me know what kind it is and I may be interested in buying it from you.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

try the magellan sportrak, it can do all the things you are asking.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:37 PM

It is a Magelan Meridian Gold, but I probebly won't sell it cause it just looks cool on the ATV. I bought the ATV mount, a 128 Meg memory card and the streets software. sunk alot of money into something that looks cool huh.
Old 10-09-2004, 07:24 PM

Garmin Legend....check it out...great unit for the price!
Old 10-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Hello
I have a garmin legend as well. Great little unit. I use it for scouting new country, marking certian trees for possible stand sites, on my bicycle for keeping track of the distance I've ridden and even to harass my wife when shes driving(telling her to slow down shes speeding). Heck it even found its way home once.
It accidentially slid off my fanny pack belt at a public hunting grounds 25 miles from where I live. An hour after I returned home somebody rang the doorbell and put the unit in my mailbox. I hadn't even realized at that point I had lost it. It was returned because some honest hunter found it and when you turn it on, it says "this unit belongs to my name and address, please return if found"

Dan
Old 10-14-2004, 10:36 PM

With a Garmin, you can not go wrong. I too have a Garmin eTrex Legend. I had debated on spending more money and purchasing one with additional memory, but decided 8mb would work. I got it home and I am able to download more maps from the mapsource software (a must, the preinstalled map is not detailed enough and is not topo) than I know what to do with. My one complaint is the transfer speed, rather slow to transfer all 8mb. The legend has been a great addition to my hunting gear. I use it mostly for scouting, to gain a bigger picture of deer behavior in my area, but it also helps me to figure out where I am when I am hunting in new areas. You will not be disappointed with the Legend.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:32 PM

Living and playing in the mountains I find that I use my Megellan all the time. In fact, I wont leave camp without it. It's great for marking the location of your bull, then coming back to that location to pack it out. I use it to mark trails, wallows, access points, camp etc. It also tells sunrise/set and a host of other things. I've marked fishing locations on my boat and even used it to check a speedometer on one of my trucks, they are worth ever penny in my book.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:30 PM

I bought a Magellan Sport Trak with the color display and I like it very much. I don't think you can go wrong woth the Garmin or the Magellen.

Quick Reply: Please recommend GPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.