Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Please recommend GPS

Old 10-19-2004, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please recommend GPS

Another vote for the Etrex Legend. Great little unit. Doesn't have the top end bells and whistles (that I probably wouldnt use anyway), but it does have alot more than a basic unit. I find the basemaps to be ok for road trips and the nav aids help when im out on my lil boat in the bay. Never bothered to deal with the mapsource s/w, never felt the need to. I download my tracks and waypoints to my PC and with free s/w, you can see where you've been. I also like looking at new places on topo/areial photos on the web, create waypoints for places I'd like to scout, then download those waypoints to the GPS. That way, my GPS tells me when I should start looking for a parking spot and guides me straight through to the spots im interested in. I also found that Amazon.com consistently has the best price for this unit, along with free shipping.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:58 AM

Go with the Garmin. I've got 3 Garmin's and 1 Magellan and the Garmin is a far better unit, hands down. I see it every year, someone in camp brings a Magellan and before leaving, wants to trade up to a Garmin unit. Don't know if it's true anymore but, Garmin was the only GPS unit approved by the FAA for flight use too. You obviously aren't going to fly with it but, if it's that accurate, it's got to do a better job on the ground too.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:18 PM

ETREX LEGEND!!!

Hands down the best value for the $$$ out there. There are other models with more fluff, but you won't use it. My legend is a great little unit and goes most every place with me. I also have a big Garmin WAS unit on my boat with a chart plotter, but I do not think you want to go that route.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:54 PM

Another Etrex Ledgend lover. Get the Visita if you need an elcttric compass and more memory though.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Typical Buck

There are many good GPS to choose from today, they are all good for the most part. Consider getting a GPS with enough memory to download maps a VERY useful feature. I use it a lot along with my map to show me where I'm at. Personally use the Sportrak Pro.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:42 PM
Spike

I don't think you can go wrong with Garmin or Magellan. I have owned several Magellans and that will likely be my next brand as well. However my father owns a Garmin and that is a sweet unit also.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:07 PM

Alot of you seem to like the etrex legend. I'm looking for one on ebay and am finding 2 different models. One with color that is around 300 and one that doesn't have color for around 100. Which one do most of you have?

Matt
Old 11-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine isn't color and I'm happy with it. Not sure what the color buys you, maybe the screen is a little easier to see? I may check out the Garmin web site and see what they have to say about it, I can't comment about the color unit because I've never used one, but I like the one I have.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:50 AM

I have a Garmin Legend and a Garmin Vista which is the next step up. A friend of mine has the magellen sport track. After handling my Garmins and playing with his Magellin the Magellin just feels cheap. The garmins are rock solid. If you do buy a gps, check out the Geocaching.com website. It's a neat game that involves hiding things in the woods and searching them out with your gps. Something to do in the offseason with your new toy.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Spike

I have had a Garmin Rhino 120 for some time. I use it frequently not only in the woods but also on the road. I live in SC but recently visited San Diego. I downloaded street information for the area I would visit in San Diego and Los Angeles. The unit proved invaluable. For mapping roads, most any of the units would work well. It is quite simple to transfer latitude and longitude for points to your map. GPS units are like cars. the more bells and whistles the more you pay. One feature of the 120 that I really like is that it will pin point your hunting partner (if he has the same unit) each time he broadcasts to you on the FRS band. The 120 also has GMRS (5 mile range-liscense required). The Rhino 130 has more memory but I have found that for my use it is not needed.

Quick Reply: Please recommend GPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.