Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cold Weather Outerwear

Old 09-20-2004, 11:02 AM

Default Cold Weather Outerwear

I am looking for an outer jacket that will work for both late season archery and firearm season. The conditions here in the northeast are cold and snow during those times. I have been looking at either Browning's Hydro Fleece 4 in 1 Pro Series Parka or Cabela's MT050 Professional Series for Extreme Conditions. Does anyone have any advice on either of these, or possibly other suggestions? Any help would be welcomed!!
Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cold Weather Outerwear

I have not used either . Just 1 thing if it is water proof , most have a laminit . I have 2 parkas that are quit above 40 but make lots of sound every time I move below 30 .One is from Cabela's it has Dry plus . I don't know if all dry plus has this problem
Old 09-20-2004, 03:39 PM

Bearshooter

I have tried on both the MT050 and the Hydrofleece and IMO they are both to loud for bowhunting, especially in cold weather. Same for Cabelas DryPlus.....to much noise. I am going with berber fleece with windstopper as my cold weather outer layer.......sure would be nice to be waterproof, but you can't have everything.

Good luck
Old 09-21-2004, 06:36 AM

I use a wool camo jacket for really cold weather. I can be out in the snow all day and not get wet. It is also very quiet.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:17 AM

I just ordered the Cabelas MT050 7-in-1 Parka. It was the same price as the Browning, but had quite a few extra features. I think it has more pockets and it also has zippered armpit vents. The sleeves can be removed from the liner making it a little more versatile.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

I have the Cabelas MT050 system and love it. As dah605 said, the arm pit vents are nice when it warms up. I bought the scent lok version and it works great.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fleece and wool are my two main choices with wool being my favorite. Filson makes a great hunting coat with 25 oz. wool I believe (must be dry cleaned tho). Woolrich has the camwoolflage series that are made with somewhat lighter wool (like 18 oz. or some such). Cabelas has a washable wool hunting jacket / coat that's pretty nice. They can be pricey but less than the customs (i.e. Sleeping Indian).