Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Wool

Old 09-16-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Wool

who hear uses or thinks a wool outfit is worth the little extra money....I've heard some guys swear by it and say fleece can't hold a light to it, but I don't have moneytrees in my backyard.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:00 PM

Default RE: Wool

If you can find an army surplus type store, you can get some good woolies, pants\tops for reasonable prices. I picked up a set of Swedish wool pants for $20 that I love for cold weather hunting. I've seen shirts for as little as $10. You don't need to break the bank for wool. I use both, wool and fleece, interchangeably or separately or not at all, depending on conditions. Both have the quality of retaining warmth when wet although fleece gets the nod for quicker drying. Both are quiet.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

You can get all kinds of wool goods here for cheap:

Sportsman's Guide

Look in the military surplus catalog on the right side of the homepage . They also carry ECWS gear and MOPP suits .
Old 09-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

IMO, nothing beats wool for warmth, wicking, durability in the long run. It runs alittle more $$, but many of us using wool have had the coat, pant,etc for years. I'm fortunate to have a woolen mill in our town. Walk in,get measured up, and presto, custom made items. New camo bibs run $70, not to bad. taz
Old 09-18-2004, 11:00 PM

I just bought a wool coat from columbia and like it. Havnt got to wear it hunting yet cause of the heat, but just from shooting in it and the quietness i cant find any drawbacks.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wool is pretty good stuff. But I rarely use it here in NY. I think if I lived a lttle different climate, I'd get a set.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:39 AM

I just bought a wool coat from columbia and like it. Havnt got to wear it hunting yet cause of the heat, but just from shooting in it and the quietness i cant find any drawbacks.
I have the columbia pants and jacket and wouldn't trade the for the world. Keeps me warm, and dry in very bad weather.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:19 PM

I have the Columbia wool bibs & coat w/ their camo pattern. I absolutely love it. I got it on sale. I decided to bite the bullet myself a few years ago. This stuff is quiet and warm. It works well in the rain too. It is definately worth the little extra cash. I can use it in the milder days of october and the coldest days in december while muzzleloading. It is the only suit I can wear for all three seasons (bow, rifle, &m/l) I live in Michigan. There is an outlet store in Birch Run that sells all of the Columbia gear. I have called them on the phone in the past to buy my waterfowl parka. We did the entire deal over the phone. The outlet store sells items for less than retail stores. Keep you eyes open for the sales, don't pay full price if you don't have to.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

One of the first rules you learn in any military survival schools is in cold weather ....wool although wet will keep you warm.

If you are pressed for $$ check out your local GoodWill or Salvation Army stores....also military surplus stores. You would be surprised at what you might find just like new. I used to do alot of Winter backpacking and camping. MHO is that although wool does have weight unlike fleece, it is tried and true! Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
Old 09-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wool worth the extra money? I don't know about you but this synthetic realtree/mossyoak/natgear/etc etc is out of control. You can buy military wool or Woolrich,Cabelas even Weatherby wool then you can same outfit from the synthetic bunch. Wool will keep you alive in the worst weather.

Quick Reply: Wool

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.