Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Wool

Old 09-24-2004, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wool

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Wool is pretty good stuff. But I rarely use it here in NY. I think if I lived a lttle different climate, I'd get a set.

Not sure what you mean?? Upstate NY gets pretty cold and Filson Overalls and Jacket are what I wear in the bad weather.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:53 PM

I hunt in nothing but wool up in Alaska. It will keep you warm when wet. You can usually get some cheaper wool stuff from SierraTradingPost.com. The technowool stuff is very nice, light, and YOU can wash it. Some of the Columbia wool gets pretty bulky.

All wool is heavy, dries slowly, and is not particularly comfortable. Fleece is lighter, less durable, and more comfortable. I think wool cuts the wind better and it is very tough stuff. It also does not stain readily, which comes in handy when you are in the bush for ten days with one change of clothes.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:20 PM

I've been loving my wool pants and shirt for many seasons now here in Oregon and have found them to do great in light rain, all snow, cool weather and soaked underbrush. They're always quiet and warm. But I do wonder about wools ability to "soak up" scent, particularly human scent. I hate going to the dry cleaner after using them, and I'm curious if anyone has any advice on washing wool hunting clothes? I'd like to use the no-scent laundry detergent, but I'm afraid of shrinkage or other irrepairable damage. Any thoughts or experiences?
Old 10-12-2004, 09:45 PM

I get my wool from sprortsmans guide also and used RIT dye from the grocery store to add black, grey reds for camo.worked well.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: AlaskaMagnum

I hunt in nothing but wool up in Alaska. It will keep you warm when wet. You can usually get some cheaper wool stuff from SierraTradingPost.com. The technowool stuff is very nice, light, and YOU can wash it. Some of the Columbia wool gets pretty bulky.

All wool is heavy, dries slowly, and is not particularly comfortable. Fleece is lighter, less durable, and more comfortable. I think wool cuts the wind better and it is very tough stuff. It also does not stain readily, which comes in handy when you are in the bush for ten days with one change of clothes.
I've hunted a lot and spent a lot of time outside in all seasons including winter in Alaska as well. I used to have plenty of wool clothes, but wear almost nothing but synthetics nowadays. For the exact reasons you mention- lighter and quicker drying. Also, for me, much more comfortable not only in terms of not being itchy, but also more stretchy/flexible for freedom of movement. I can't tell you how many times after two or three weeks in the cold and drizzle, the wool just got damper and damper while synthetics are pretty quick and easy to almost completely dry out.

As for durability - I certainly have old wool pants that have had 20 years of good use. But I also have a couple of synthetic garments that are just as old and used just as hard if not more so. Wool is definitely better around the sparks of a fire though. If I wear wool anymore, I wear wool pants or socks. Everything else is polypro underwear and synthetic garments.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Wool gets my vote! You can't beat it for warmth. There's nothing worse then being too cold up in the tree. Even when it gets wet it still keeps me warm! It's also very durable as well. It will last you for years and years! Worth the extra doe oops dough if you ask me!....Jim
Old 10-17-2004, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Codet wool products. I have been wear their pants for several years. I like them and they are very reasonably priced.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:23 PM

I have Colombia wool coat and hat. This year the first week I was elk hunting it rained and rained, I stayed warm and dry. Wool is absolutely worth it. Also have wool pants but only wear those when it gets real cold.