Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Best Rangefinder?

Old 08-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Best Rangefinder?

i was looking for a new range finder but the max distance i would really need to know would be about 200 yrds. which one is the best on the market in your opinoin?
Old 08-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Rangefinder?

I would have told you to get the Leica but if you’re only going to use it for around 200 yards there must be other rangefinders that are not as expensive that could handle that distance with good accuracy. I just don’t know wich ones to suggest. Hopefully someone will give some good advice on other brands. All I know is I have the Leica and have no regrets what so ever. Good Luck....
Old 08-21-2004, 06:29 AM

Bushnell Yardage Pro does a good job for me. All I use them for is ranging my decoys when doing my favorite thing-- waterfowling and also when I am stand hunting with my ML. they work well out the distance you mentioned.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

alright thanks alot ill check into them
Old 08-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bushnell Pro Scout works good for my usage of ranging shooting lanes upon setting up(Bow and Gun). The Lieca is the best for ranging animals then shooting, it's Red LED display makes it quick to acquire and read under most field conditions. (most others are black so in low light they will either be poor and/or take a bit longer).
Old 08-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've told this before on other threads asking the same question and I will again here:

On a cloudy, misting, 50 degree day at the Cabela's in Grand Forks N.D. I took a Nikon, Bushnell, and Leica (all 800 +/- models) outside of the store at the same time. (VERY IMPORTANT! DO NOT BUY ONE BASED ON HOW IT PERFORMED IN THE STORE. IF THEY WON'T LET YOU TAKE IT OUTSIDE, BUY SOMEPLACE ELSE)
On a TV sized rock at the end of the parking lot (57 yards if I remember right) all of them performed very well, but already the optics of the Leica were much brighter. At a tree about 150 yds it was hard to see the little aiming dot on the bushnell in the overcast weather. At a car grille parked across the river (about 375yds) the Leica was the only one that I could see clearly and get a consistant reading on. The optics of the others compared to the Leica were like putting on sunglasses on a cloudy day. I chose the Leica, that was three years ago and I have been very happy with my rangefinder.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've told this before on other threads asking the same question and I will again here:

On a cloudy, misting, 50 degree day at the Cabela's in Grand Forks N.D. I took a Nikon, Bushnell, and Leica (all 800 +/- models) outside of the store at the same time. (VERY IMPORTANT! DO NOT BUY ONE BASED ON HOW IT PERFORMED IN THE STORE. IF THEY WON'T LET YOU TAKE IT OUTSIDE, BUY SOMEPLACE ELSE)
On a TV sized rock at the end of the parking lot (57 yards if I remember right) all of them performed very well, but already the optics of the Leica were much brighter. At a tree about 150 yds it was hard to see the little aiming dot on the bushnell in the overcast weather. At a car grille parked across the river (about 375yds) the Leica was the only one that I could see clearly and get a consistant reading on. The optics of the others compared to the Leica were like putting on sunglasses on a cloudy day. I chose the Leica, that was three years ago and I have been very happy with my rangefinder.
Great example.........thanks
Old 08-24-2004, 07:54 AM

I'm on my second Nikon (first one was stolen), and I really like the quality. They have a feature that allows you to use it in the heavy rain/snow etc, that sort of filters out the effects you get from the added reflection. Never used the Leica so I can't comment on how they work, but for the money, my Nikon 800 has never failed me.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:48 PM

Check out the Nikon Monarch 800.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:59 AM

all but leica have a black read out. leica has red and is much easier to see in all conditions