Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Rino radios

Old 07-22-2004, 04:54 PM

Default Rino radios

Has anyone had any experience good or bad with rino radios? What is their effective range? Is the GPS on them as accurate as a regular garmin GPS?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:06 PM

Default RE: Rino radios

The radio is so-so(not the best voice pickup), the GPS is fine(easy to use and lots of options),and the ability to "send" your location to other rino users is the best!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have the rhino 110, have had no problems with the reception, but then again i don't hunt that far from the others in my group. gps works just great. just to let you know, there are several downloads available at the garmin website for this unit and several others.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:34 PM

I've got a rino 120 and the GPS is top notch. The radio can very quite a bit depending on terrain. The radios are line of sight so quite often they do not meet the advertised distance. This should be expected. All in all I think it's a great unit.

Also garmin customer service is great. I ran my Rino with my car this winter in my driveway. I had to have a new screen put in so I sent it out on a saturday and had it back on the following wednesday. That's 5 days counting Saturday and Sunday. They uploaded all new software updates before sending the unit back.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

I have the Rino 110 as well. My only complaint is that it didn't come with all the required hardware. If you want to download into it, you have to by extra hardware. I got mine for fathers day, now I see there is an update available but I can't install it unless I order some communication cable. The cable should have been included in the box!

As for accuracy, I tested the unit. I put on a blind fold, and had my buddy drive for 1/2 hr. Then we switched places and I was able to retrace the exact route. Great little unit. As for the radio, haven't tried that yet.

Even though it doesn't come with all the hardware, I'd buy another in a second!
Old 05-20-2005, 11:44 AM

I'm wondering if the "send location" feature will work on the GMRS freq or just the FRS?

I noticed in the description, it says 2 mile range for the send location feature.

Does it always work in the background? Do you send your location by pushing a button?
Old 05-22-2005, 08:41 PM

2 miles is a stretch, we tried some last year and found that we couldn't talk much over 1 mile. Our talkabouts from Moto worked better.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:29 PM

The best i have played with so far are the midland upper end radios.
I tried out some midland gxt-450's( i believe thats the model) and they blow the motorolas away!
I am going to get a set this fall.
If i get a gps i'll buy just a gps!
Old 05-23-2005, 11:19 AM

A group of us bought the RINO 120's last year before elk season. The GPS works as well as any Garmin GPS (which is great), and the radios work as well as any of the portable radios out there. The FCC recently approved Garmin to allow position exchange in the GMRS freqs (check their websight). We are all very impressed with the units and the ability to poll the position of the other hunters is a real time saver. It's alot easier than loading in long/lat info to find you buddy. Having both the radio and GPS in one unit means not having to carry 2 units in you pack also.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Garmin units do not have quite the range as a lot of other 2-way radio, because they are regulated more because of the positon polling feature. I've been using Rino's a lot out in the field. And prefer using them over the rest, mainly because of the radio feature. A great unit!

Quick Reply: Rino radios

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.