Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Need help on scopes

Old 07-16-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Need help on scopes

I am Buying 2 rifles, 1 for my Daughter and 1 for my son and had intended on topping them with simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44 scopes, my wife has one and has had no problems at all and likes it very much, but in talking with the guy I am going to buy the rifles from, he suggested that I may want to try out the Swift scopes 3.5-10x44, that he personaly prefered them over the simmons. Lastly I am considering buying for myself one of the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 30mm 3-12x52 scopes and would like to know if anyone knew anything about them. Are they good scopes? and for the price how do they compare to the high end 30mm scopes?
Old 07-16-2004, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need help on scopes

I have noit had the Cabelas scope but they have a no questions ask return policy so you can't go to wrong. I believe they are a tough scope. As for the other two you mentioned I have had very good service from both the Aetec and the Swift. Both have been in use for several seasons and I would have a tough time choosing between them. I think I would rate the Aetec they best scope for the money on the market. That after using almost all the scopes out there at one time or another. I am buying another Aetec right now on Layaway at Scheels all Sports. This new one will go on the Encore 45-70. The Aetec has 5 inches of eye relief and its one of the only scopes that does. I always try to buy the best scope I can afford. That is very seldom more that 200 bucks. The good news is that you don't have to spend more that that for a good dependable scope. I Also have a bunch of Bushnells which have never failed me in any way. Good luck and good hunting to you.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

seapro19, welcome aboard.

I had a peek at the Cabelas Alaskan guide scope a couple of month ago when I went to Cabelas. I had asked to see the 3-12x52 but they had sold out. (So that must say something about the scopes) I ended up looking at the 4.5-14x52 instead. I would have to say that I was impressed with the scope. The scope was very clear and the objects had sharp edges. I also liked with the 52mm obj. lens. I had compared them side by side with the Leupold VX-II 3-9x50 and the Alaskan was definitely clearer. The Alaskan scope looked well made. Cabelas stand behind their products.

I also have the Simmons Aetec and would have to agree with JamesB comments. It’s a good scope and I haven’t had any problems with it so far. I have no experience with the Swift scopes but this there site. www.swift-optics.com if you’re interested.

There is always big debates on 2 subjects when it comes to scope. The 30mm main tube and 50mm obj. lens. Are they required and are they beneficial. I have 2 scopes with 30mm main tubes and I like the looks of them. My Nikon Gold has 42mm obj. lens and my Leupold Euro has the 50mm. Some say they look to bulky and are to heavy but that’s their opinion. It all depends on what type of hunting the equipment will be used for. Good luck in your purchase....
Old 07-17-2004, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the Help. I just stumbled across this website and am really impressed. I will definetly become a regular and hope that I may be able to offer some help too on different subjects
Old 07-18-2004, 02:34 PM

Get the SWIFT!! I have heard a story in ancother hunting forum, of when a guy with a Simmons Aetec couldn't see a doe standing 50 YARDS away, but a guy with a leupold waited a few more minutes and shot a 8 point at 150 yards. This just shows they do not have a good light gathering ability. I have only heard good things from swift's. Go with them!!

As for the Alaskan guide series, they seem to be great scopes, although I have never seen one up close. I would like the 30mm tube, IF it truely uses 30 mm internal lens, if not it is just as good as a 1 in. tube. As for the 52 mm, It can't hurt, but it probably won't make a huge difference. I like the 4X maginification (3-12) good variation

Just my 2 cents!!