Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Pentax Binocs, what do you think?

Old 07-09-2004, 06:38 AM

Default Pentax Binocs, what do you think?

Saw a good deal on a set of Pentax binos at the local shop. Wondering what you all thought of the brand? Decent quality, long lasting, any input would be great.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:13 AM
Spike

Default RE: Pentax Binocs, what do you think?

I'd have to say it depends on the style. I have a pair of the DCF and SP binos. For the money, I do not believe they can be beat. They compare favorably to Swarovski on light gathering and a friend had a pair of the 10*42 DCF he took on an African Safari. The guide used teh Pentax over his binos and took them over a tip for teh two weeks.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:12 PM

I agree with KYFRED. Pentax is one of those companies that never gains any respect. They make optics that as stated can be compared to Swarovski, Nikon, Zeiss, Etc. Maybe their marketing isn't as good as some of the other brands, but for the quality they are well worth the money. You never said what version you want. Ex: 10x42, etc. I saw a sale on some Pentax Binos. They were a compact version maybe like a 12x25. They were at like $90 maybe more I don't remember. but they were about $50 off the original price.

Good Hunting and Straight Shooting
Old 07-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

Solax,

I bought Pentax 8X40 PCF V last year to use mule deer hunting in Co. I was well satisfied with them. Extremely clear, easy to use. I ordered them from Cameraland.com for $99.00, I believe Cabelas' was selling them for around a little over $200.00.

dog1
Old 07-11-2004, 06:09 PM

I have two Pentax PCF's and they are wonderful binocs. I don't go out hunting anything anymore without one of them with me. Also, get a Crooked Horn Outfitter's binocular harness for them, you won't even know they are hanging around your neck!
Old 07-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

My friend has a pair and for the money they are great optics.However ,I still prefer my ziess classics.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have Pentax Bino's and would say they are great for the money. I also have used their CS department on 2 occasions, they repaired and replaced the set sent in with no questions asked...even though they were completely my fault.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:08 PM

Thanks guys, I'm looking at the 10x21 UCF-R, they're selling for $74.99. Anybody know if this is a decent deal or not?

Around here in MD you don't get many opportunities to look more than 200-300 yds so I don't need anything real powerful. Think these might be good. I checked them out looking through the front window of the place and they're really clear.

How do they pick up in low light conditions? Thanks guys, probably get them on Wed. or Thurs.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Solax,
By design a 10X21 is going to be very poor in low light conditions........I don't care how good the glass.

If you want med range and low light capabilities seriously look into a full sized roof prism design in something like an 8X42.
It has alwyas been my opinion that you are wasting your money on tiny objective compact binos. The may be fairly serviceable under the best lighting conditions but if you actually try a decent full sized roof prism like a Pentax DCF-WP or Nikon Monarch, or a Bushnell Legend type, side by side especially under dawn/dusk/dark conditions?.......you wouldn't use the 10X21's for anything more than a paper weight.
If you can invest a few more bucks on a better pair and you'll be happier in the long run.

I dropped some coin on a pair of Pentax DCF-SP 8X43's last year and it's the best thing I ever did. I will never want for another pair as long as I can see, and I use them all the time from scouting to hunting, 3D archery, sports etc. It's a pleasure looking through GOOD optics.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:37 AM

Brunton 12X42 saved over a grand when compared to zeiss or
swearoffskis. Waterproof, nitrogen purged lifetime waranty.