Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Water purification systems, have you used them?

Old 06-28-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Water purification systems, have you used them?

Hunters, fishermen, hikers, campers:

I am looking for someone who has used a water purification system in the high country or backwoods, are the systems useful in isolated area's? Are they cumbersome to have in your pack? has anyone gotten sick from drinking unfiltered water, how sick did you get? What type of illness did you have? Anyone hospitalized for water borne illnesses. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.

Dr. Mike
RMOA-TV
Old 06-29-2004, 07:38 AM

Default RE: Water purification systems, have you used them?

We always carry a purification unit when going to elk camp. If going to a drop camp, weight resrtictions won't allow you to carry enough water for a week so you need to draw water out of a stream. Don't know if it would hurt you or not, but why take the chance of loosing the hunt because you're in the tent sick. I also think it's a good idea to carry a purification straw in your daypack. If you get stuck out somewhere and need water...... Maybe they're not the best but, it's better than nothing at all. I think that if your body is not used to the water and you drink it, you're asking for trouble. IMHO
Old 06-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a Katadyn "hiker" model water system in my pack...I also carry plain old water purification tablets.

I use the tablets when I'm on the move and need to purify enough water to travel with, and I use the Katadyne when I have set up camp and need larger quantities of water for cooking, coffee etc.

On the 'plus' side...the Katadyne is very small and easily packed.

On the 'negitive' side...the Katadyne replacement filter cartridge costs almost as much as a whole new unit.

As far as the tablets go, there are plenty of positives...it's quick and time tested...On the negative side, it makes the water taste funny and after a few days will make you're poop green.

I've been using the Katadyne for about three years now, and I've never had a bad experience with it. It's very user friendly and has clear and consise directions.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:42 PM

Outdoor,

I have used several types of filters all over the blue ridge. I have a hiker which is a good filter and is light but it only filters out bacteria and not viral impurities. There is a sports bottle type filter that lots of adventure racers use called the EXTREAM. Just unscrew the top and dip it into the water, put the top back on and drink away. its the right size to fit into most pockets on packs made for nalgene bottles and supposedly it also filters out viruses. Of course when in doubt just boil the water before you drink it. and contrary to some opinions it just has to reach a boil instead of maintaining a boil for 10 min.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Phoenix, Thank you for reminding me about the 'EXTREAM'. I used one for a very short time before I threw it into my campfire.

You are correct, it resembles a 'sports bottle' in design, and sure enough, you just dip it into a creek and fill it up, and squeeze out what you want to drink. But the thing that I did'nt like about it was; The filter cartridge takes up just about the entire interior of the bottle. After you 'squeeze' out a good solid thimble full of water, you gotta fill it up again....O.K. I'm exagerating if you squeeze hard enough you might get a good four or five ounces.

On a more serious note, it might be fine for those that require very little water, but for any quantity, I found it to be more trouble than it was worth. ALSO...The cartridge had a very short life. For all practical purposes, once you started using it, that was it....Throw it away when you're done because there was no putting it in storage between outings. And at thirty bucks a copy, that gets expensive quickly.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:20 PM

well dave you have a point about capacity but i wanted to bring up the idea of viral filtration and that it may be important to think of it. The extream is just easy to use and provides added filtration. Thats all.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Phoenix, I had conpletely forgotten about the 'Extream' untill I read your post, Then I had one of those "Oh crap, I remember, I had one of those things and hated it" moments.

By the way, your initial post mentioned the Blue Ridge...I live here in the Allegheny's. You're 'just across the highway' so-to-speak. If you're ever inclined to swap a lie or two, don't hesitate to come here to Bath county and look me up.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

when me and my friends use to go mountian biking one of them always carried a water purification thing it was one you pump by hand and it was maby the size of a 20oz bottle but we used it several times in a creek we passed to refill out water bottles and it worked great it`ll never take the taste out of the water of you have funny tasting water but it worked really good and i think it was well under $100
Old 07-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

Since no one will fess up to being stupid I guess I’ll confess for learning purposes.

I was fly-fishing a small remote stream in PA (believe it was Slate Run) and was out of water and extremely thirsty! There was this pretty little feeder stream high on the hill that poured into the Slate. I thought what the hell could it hurt way out here! Well the next day I woke up with a soar throat. It gradually got worse through out the week. Nothing a little prescription penicillin didn’t take care off.