Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

buying scope on a budget

Old 06-28-2004, 07:16 AM

Default buying scope on a budget

I need a hunting scope. I only have $200.00 to spend.
I was looking at burris ffII bushnell elite 3200 and nikon buckmaster.
can anyone give me any advice or otheer options. thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: buying scope on a budget

hunting season is a ways off, if you can hold out and safe up about another 60-80$ you can find a Leupold vx-ii 3-9x40 for around 260-280. Great scopes with great customer service. Forgot to mention to look into the sightron sII line of scopes.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Honestly I would try to save up a little more money and get a better quality scope. The Cabela's Bargain Cave has Nikon Monarch 3x10x44 on sale now for about $360. You may be able to beat that price somewhere. Check E-Bay, there are hundreds of scopes for sale there and sometimes I see some real nice ones at good prices.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Leupold's new rifleman seems very well priced. Has anyone tried this scope?
Old 06-28-2004, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I have. Works fine so far, clear, bright, says Leupold on the side.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really want a vx-III long range, but can't find the extra $650.00 right now.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:22 PM

I just topped my .243 with a Leupold Rifleman. So far I like it! Leupolds are good but it's hard to beat that Zeiss Conquest.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

jde30, Have you looked through any of the scopes you mentioned or are you just looking in the catalogue and trying to decide from the price? I have looked through a couple different Nikon modules and would have to say that the Nikons are allot clearer and brighter then other scopes. I ended up buying a Nikon myself. The Bushnell are also pretty good from what I’ve seen at the store but until you actually use them in the field it’s hard to say. I’ve also heard good things on the Bushnell customer service. Good luck....
Old 07-01-2004, 07:49 AM

In the price range you mentioned, I'd go with the Leupold Rifleman. Nikon makes a nice scope, but between the two, I'd go Leupold.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:52 PM

I think it all depends on the intended use of the scope. I mean.........if you want high light gathering, low mag. for woody shots, high mag. for long shots, or just normal conditions, then the scope you would want to but would be different. If you want to get a 3-9x40 that would use most of your budget I would go with the Nikon Prostaff for about $150. Yet another good brand for cheaper is Swift. You could get a 3-9x40 for about $105. But then if you need long range capability (for under $200) you may look into more Swifts, High end Simmons, or maybe a middle class Bushnell. But the only Nikon you would be able to afford would be a prostaff model, or the cheapestttttttttt Buckmaster model. That would be the best brand and scope for under $200. In my opinion, I have heard that Nikon makes the clearest image for the price. I have just bought a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50, and it is great. I was in the same situation as you are except I had a little more of a budget. I had narrowed my chpices to the Burris FFII, and the Nikon Buckmaster. OH, and I forgot.......You may want to check out the new Redfields. They have just been bought out, and are selling their items for cheap. You can get a redfield 3-12x44 or 4-16x44 for about $130-$150.

What is the exact hunting situation you will be in?????

Here is a Swift picture that I found in Cabelas.com You can probably get a better price than they offer if you search around. (They have every model scope that could fit into your specific situation)

GOOD HUNTING

Quick Reply: buying scope on a budget

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.