Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

buying scope on a budget

Old 07-12-2004, 10:00 PM

Default RE: buying scope on a budget

Thanks guys. I think you gave me a lot good info.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

go with the bushnell
Old 07-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Most scopes in that price range are pretty dependable to an extent, make sure the optics are waterproof and coated. It also depends on the game your hunting, and the weather you could encounter. Good luck
Old 07-20-2004, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

JDE30 I have a new in box 3x9x40 Leupold VX II, I'll sell you for $240.00 shipped. Email if interested.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:29 PM

Everyone who said save for the Leupols hit the nail on the head. When buying a scope you get what you pay for. Also Leupolds carry a liftime warrenty, I don't think the others do.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bushnell elite series does...
Old 08-03-2004, 09:30 PM

Sorry R-DIZZERT, but you are 100% wrong.

Now-a-days, ALMOST any DECENT scope comes with a lifetime gaurantee. This includes Nikon, Leupold, Pentax, Zeiss, Swarovski, Swift, Bushnell, Burris, Sightron, Weaver, Nightforce, and almost any other brand you can think of. Its just something that has come to be expected by consumers..........and if a company does not have a lifetime gaurantee.........then they are out of business.

I just had to say something because I am tired of "Leupold fan's" raving about their scope, and forgetting all others. LEUPOLD'S NOT EVEN THE BEST SCOPE........OR THE BEST VALUE!!

Yes, they make good scopes, but they are waaaaayyyyyyyy over priced. A nikon is has better optics and is about $150 cheaper than a comparable leupold. A nikon has better glass compared to a leupold, except for maybe the LPS series, but even then the Nikon Gold can compeat with it.

I dont want people to think I hate Leupold's b/c I don't. I just dont see then as being a good value in "today's society"

I would rather buy a 3.5x10x44 Zeiss conquest than get a 3.5x10x40 Vari X III for the exact same price. They are just uncomparable!! The zeiss beats the Leupold in every category!!

I mean just go compare the prices to a company like Nikon or Bushnell:

Nikon Prostaff: $150
Leupold Rifleman:$179 (cheapest model, some go up to $230)
Leupold Vari X I 3-9x40:$279

Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50: $300
Leupold Vari X I 4-12x40: $270 (Not even comparable, Nikon wins hands down)
Leupold VX II 4-12x50(new model): $450!! (Leupold wins in this compared to the Buckmaster, but it should be compared to the monarch, and as I said earlier +$150)

Nikon Monarch UCC 3.5-10x50: $429
Leupold VXII 4-12X50: $450
OR
Nikon Monarch UCC 4-12X40: $379
Leupold VXII 4-12X40: $399 (still more expensive, I would give a slight edge to the Monarch, but if compared against the old Vari X II, it would be a down right win for the Monarch)

Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X50: $529
Nikon Monarch Gold 30 MM 2.5-10x50: $599 (It is more expensive b/c it is the 30MM tube, any scope with a 30MM tube is wayyyyyy more expensive......but not when compared to a VXIII in nearly the same model.........hmm.........do we see a pattern?? Again, the Nikon Gold out performs the VXIII hands down, no exceptions. PERIOD.

The final comparison:
Leupold LPS 2.5-10x45:$899!!
Nikon Titanium 3.3-10X44: $580!! (This is the best of each line......and the only place the Leupold is better than the Nikon outright........but if my calulations are correct thats a $319 differnce between them!!!!!!!! Sorry but I dont think the LPS is that much better than a Titanium!!)

Maybe this has proven a point. Leupold's are OVERPRICED!! [:@] And this is not just in one scope line........its across the BOARD!! Maybe the evidence will speak for itself. I know their are a TON of Leupold Lovers' out there, and maybe b/c they are "American made (yea right some of there parts come from over seas, they are just assembled here, just like Burris)" But this is what I think.......and you can disagree, but you can compare it to almost any other line of GOOD scope brands, and it will have the same outcome. Some ppl may think they are more "rugged", but ALMOST any scope that you pay $300 for, is going to be rugged.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:08 PM
PLB

I have 2 Nikon Buckmasters and have been very pleased with them. My personal thought on the matter is to buy a scope that is reliable. Spend all the money you save on the best pair of binos you can possibly afford (Lieca or Swarro's). Out West where I live and hunt, you will spend 100x the amount of time using the binos as you will the scope.

It really pisses me off when some idiot accross the valley is looking at you through his scope. In the city that is called Aggravated Assault and is a felony and can be justifiably shot!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:34 PM

I have to toss in my vote for the Bushnell Elite 3200...VERY clear and bright optics, more eye relief than my Dad's Monarch, and has features that the $200 scopes from Leupold can't touch- 1/4 MOA fingertip click turrets, great lens coatings, and a great warranty as well..and a one piece tube, which I can't find any Leupold bragging about any more...
Old 08-05-2004, 11:09 PM

If you hunt hard you can find the leupold vari-X II 3-9 for $199. I got 4 of em at that price.

Quick Reply: buying scope on a budget

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.