Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Alaskan 1 Pack??

Old 06-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Alaskan 1 Pack??

I currently have a day pack that surrounds my torso completely that has all of the room I need for hiking in the summer time to high mountain lakes and day hikes, etc., as well as using while hunting where roads are fairly easy to get to. I have not yet used it for deer hunting, but this year, I drew an area that can be fairly difficult to harvest a decent buck unless one gets extremely high (8,000-10,000 feet), because of the early season hunt (October 2-22nd), so I am looking for a pack that I can put all of my survival gear in that I have in my daypack, but I also need something that I can carry a deer out on my back from a wilderness area. The area I plan to hunt can be accessed by less than an hour of hiking, but that will put me close to 2 miles back in VERY rough and steep terrain, making it nearly impossible to drag an animal out. I am not just talking a few rocks here and there, but areas that mountain goats also call home. If I intend to bag a decent buck this year, this will be about the only option I have, as I know that many good bucks call the area home and get hunted very lightly until the snow starts flying, and they start moving out of the high country. Thats if it flies during the late season at all.

Now for my question, I have been looking at the Alaskan Guide Series packs, peticularly the Alaskan I, mainly because of the light weight and size. I am wondering if anybody has used this pack for mule deer, goats, sheep, or any other similar sized game. If I get one down way back in, I will probably use the Alaskan meathod to field dress the animal and maybe even go as far as boning the meat out also. What are everybodies opinions on this pack? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Charlie Brown
Old 06-25-2004, 09:38 AM

Default RE: Alaskan 1 Pack??

I, as well as several of my hunting pardners use the Alaskan for elk. They have proven to be a very good pack and frame. Not only for hauling your stuff in, but for getting your game out. Good choice and good luck!
Old 06-27-2004, 09:04 PM

The Alaskan packs are pretty good packs for the money. Mine have carried quite a few critters with no problems. I have the outfitter frame, and its been good for me. There are better packs out there, but you will pay more for them. The Dana Designs Long Hunter is a good one (probably better than the Cabela's) as well.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:09 PM

I've used mine for mule deer that were a couple of miles back, I got the idea after one year of not having it with me when I had to get a deer out on the first day of bow season.