Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What Scope?

Old 06-17-2004, 04:16 PM

Default What Scope?

This year i am moving up from my "Trashco" scope. I am not going to get a real expensive one, but i want a decent one. Here are my choices.
1. Leupold Rifleman
2. Simmons Aetec
3. Burris Fullfield 2
4. Bushnell 3200
5. Leupold VX-1
6. Nikon Buckmasters

I will be using Leupold rings and base. I was looking through some of these pages and noticed that the Nikon wasnt get as much attention as the other scopes. Why is this? And also Cabela's doesnt say, the Burris and Simmons are fully water,fog, and shock proof right? Overall which is the best of those scopes? Thanks in advance
Old 06-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What Scope?

For the money, you just can't beat Leupold!
Old 06-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Typical Buck

I have two Buckmasters and a Vari-X I and love all three!! Some here will say the Nikon's customer service sucks, but I've never had to use it.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Simmons Aetec and I like it’s long eye relief. Haven’t had any problems with it so far. I also have a Nikon and find it’s the clearest and brightest out of all the scope I have and that includes Leupold. Another scope you might want to check into is the Weaver Grand Slam. I have read good reviews on this scope.

If you would like to read more the Simmons Aetec check out this link. www.simmonsoptics.com/ or www.weaveroptics.com/ on the Grand Slam Good Luck....
Old 06-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Spike

You can't go wrong with Leupold.
heel
Old 06-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dave, for the money the Bushnell 3200 is rock solid. That being said I have seen a couple of the newer Burris FFII recently and think they are equally a good choice. Being these 2 have fast eye focus reticle, fully multicoated, click adjustments and 1 piece tube construction I would put them as the front runners on your list. The burris has a variable eye relief of 3.1-3.8" while the Elite 3200 is fixed at 3" (in the 3x9x40 models). Both offer shock, water and fog proof lens - although I believe the raingaurd system bushnell uses might be a bit better for fogging than the burris. However it can be combated by using the flip up scope covers on any scope and this also offers additional protection to the exposed lens surfaces-something I suggest anybody invest in when putting a scope on a hunting rifle.

You never mentioned what rifle you would be topping the new scope with but if a moderate recoiler than 3" or higher should be adequate for eye relief. However if a big boomer than you might need or want more, so that might play a part in your decision process as well.

Good Luck
Old 06-18-2004, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

u might also wanna look into zies.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:56 PM

Leupold.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:18 PM

If you do go with the Leopold go with the VX-I over the rifle man. They are identicle except the VX-I for a few dollars more is fully coated. In Canada
I have seen them priced for as little as ten dollars more. I have an Elite
3200 on one of my rifles -also a great scope. Cheers
Old 06-25-2004, 09:45 AM

Leupold. The best one you can afford.

Quick Reply: What Scope?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.