Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What Scope?

Old 06-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What Scope?

I would go with the bushnell 3200.The vxi is overpriced for what it offers.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:48 PM

Any of the above will do just fine - but if it were me, I would go with the long eye-relief and lifetime guarantee of Leupold - of your above choices - the VX I.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:10 PM

Opinion of a hunting club manager:

Low class scopes-
Anything available at walmart

Mid class scopes-
Simmons, bushnell, etc (unless it comes from walmart)

High class scopes-
Nikon, Leuopold, Upper end simmons and weaver

Premium class scopes-
Zeiss, Kahles, Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender

I know I have left some out, my point is this....as you all know, big bucks often appear at first or last light, but they dont have a clock or watch the sky to be sure that they get out in the field in time for you to see them. With that in mind......

Low class scopes- you can hunt until it's almost dark.

Mid class scopes- you can hunt until its pretty much dark.

High class scopes- you can hunt until the big boy actually gets out in the
field
Premium class scopes- you can hunt until you get tired of sitting in the
dark, waiting for the big boy to come out!
Old 06-30-2004, 10:24 PM

OK, from what I have heardddddddd.......I would not go with the Simmons (at least for the amount of money you are talking about spending on the scope). I have not had much experience with many scopes. My last scope was a Redfield Widefield. I just bought a NEW Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50. It is the new model scope that has just come out in the Spring of 2004. It is crystal clear. I wanted to look into buying a ZEISS OR SWAROVSKI but the budget just couldn't hold up. I had really narrowed my scopes down to three (or four): the Redfield Tracker, Nikon Buckmaster, and Burris signature series or Fulfield II. I bought the Nikon. If you have access to the internet at all you should check out this website for scopes. It is www.scopesnmore.com

Their pricing is unbelieable!! Now grant it I searched for the best price for about a month.......but the Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x50 retails for $330 or more.........

I bought mine for $264........it ended up being around $271 after shipping.

They are just like Walmart........If you find a place that sells it cheaper then they will give you the best price possible and beat the competitor.

If you are interested in nuying this scope e-mail me because I found it for chepare and they send a special order number that gives the better price

All in all, I love my Nikon, I would stay away from the leupold Rifleman and the Simmons. I have heard that sometimes Leupold has not stuck behind their garauntee saying that the damages were the "hunters" fault. But you do not have to rely on me for that info.

This is the scope I bought!!!

Thanx and GREAT HUNTING!!!!!

Old 07-03-2004, 03:44 AM

hey guys
i am going to buy me a .22 LR but i really don't know what scope to choose. can somebody help me?
i have about 200$ to spend on a scope
thanks anyway
jonathan
Old 07-06-2004, 04:22 PM

One thing to keep in mind is recoil shock on the scope. I have had bushnells,redfields, of course tascos recoil shatter w/ my 300win mag and 30-06. If you are going to use a short action caliber (308 class) it may not matter. If your useing a long action or mag. dont scimp on the scope even if it stretches you to buy it. I have a aetec on a 6mm and love it, I just dont know that I would trust it on my mag. Leupold cant be beat for the price, did you look at the vari-X II 3-9? I pick them up on sale for $199.