Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Minimum optics for Western hunt.

Old 06-14-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Minimum optics for Western hunt.

What would be the best power binoculers for a western elk hunt with a lot of glassing? I have a Stinner 8x30 but I don't think they will get it. Can I get good glasses for $250.00?
I know you western hunters have an opinion, and I would sure appreciate hearing it.
Thanks to all.
slingwing
Old 06-14-2004, 08:42 PM

Default RE: Minimum optics for Western hunt.

Anyone hunting out west w/ $$ will tell ya Leica's (Duovids) or Swarovski. Good stuff but if you are limited in the wallet like me- 2 good choices w/ awesome glass - Leuopold wind river 10X40($250-300) or Nikon 10x40($300). I had Steiner 8x32 mil. marines and they were crap for glass compared to wind river line.

Just stay away fron pooro prisms and get as much obj. size in the roof prisms as you can handle weight wise (40 mil vs. 32 mil)

good luck

Old 06-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

Good advice from swampcruiser. I'd recommend at least
10x, depending on the type of hunt. A few years back I tried
8x while hunting coues deer in Arizona, difficult to say the
least. I now own both 10 x 42 (Cabela's Alaskan Guide) for
hunting out west and 8 x 32 (Leica) for hunting here in the
midwest.

Unfortunately, good glass = $$$. It took several years
and some corner cutting elsewhere, but I'm very happy
with my binoculars now. If this is a one time hunt out
west, I'd be less inclined to spend a lot of money. IMO,
just as the 8x are not strong enough out west, I've found
the 10x are too strong (small field of view) for the terrain
(timber) I hunt here in the midwest.

Best of luck~
Old 06-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Depends on the terrain you're going to be hunting in and whether you're going to be using a 4X4, quadrunner, horses or backpacking/hiking a lot. If you're hiking a lot, lighter weight binos are nice and easier to hold steady. If you're on a vehicle or horse a lot, heavier binos with more magnification are easier to carry and can easily be held steady against the vehicle. For some of the more brushy type areas (like western Oregon), you might get by fine with an 8X bino. Some of the more open types of elk hunting areas (eastern Oregon, Montana, etc.), you might want a 10X or even wish you had something with more magnification. If you're going to be hunting with a guide, family, friends or somebody else who has already hunted the area, ask them what they use and why.

One of the best guides I ever met was in Utah and he used a pair of Nikon "Action Zoom" 10-22X50 binos. I thought he was a little crazy until I had to borrow his binos to see if a buck had antlers at about a 1,000 yards. My 7X Swarovski's couldn't make out the rack. Even my 9X scope wasn't cutting it. I couldn't figure out how he had vision like an eagle and could tell me it was a buck and how big of a rack until he let me borrow his binos and told me to crank up the power. I asked him how well he liked those binos against some of the pricier ones with better quality. He told me he could see bucks and bulls just fine with those $150 Nikon's and usually managed to guide his hunters into some big trophy elk using the same binos. I couldn't argue with his success and will probably buy a pair someday just to try 'em out.

If you're looking for a bino line that isn't top of the line and extremely expensive, look at some of the Nikon fixed power binos. They give great value for the money and are not too expensive. I've also heard good things about some of Cabelas binos but haven't used them. Then again, if money is no object, I love my Swarovski's and you won't have any complaint about clarity or quality. Hope this helps some.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:34 AM

Two Beards,

How do you like the Cabela's Alaskan Guide binos? How do they compare to your Leica's?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:40 AM

Thanks guys,
Some good advice. Not sure I will be making the hunt or not. I had 6 bonus points in Arizona and hope to draw. It will be a solo archery hunt and I will have a 4-wheeler. I don't know the terrain in any of the areas I applied for. I have been to Caballa's and Bass Pro and e-bay looking. E-bay has some Pentex that seem to be reasonably priced. also Bushnell.
Thanks again.
slingwing
Old 06-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

bb122, in all honesty, there is very little difference between
the two. As clear as the Leica's are, my Alaskan Guide's
are extremely sharp and bright also. I would, without
hestitation, recommend this line of glass from Cabela's.
The only complaint I have with them is I have to use
two hands to glass with them, where as my Leica's will
stay in place and allow me to view with one hand.

I actually got a great deal with my Leica's. I picked them
up at a gun show where I was able to trade-off a gun
along with the balance in cash. I'm not sure if I would
have ever been able to shell out $1000 in cash[] to
get them....though they have always been my glass
of choice. Believe it or not, they came without
covers for the objective (larger) lenses??? Hard to
believe with such a high price tag[&:].

The Alaskan Guide's are a great choice and, from my
own experience, Cabela's customer service is second
to none. I've always wondered who made their
binoculars for them, but have never been able to find
out.

Hope this helps~
TB
Old 06-15-2004, 11:10 AM

I would recommend a 10x42. if you read about optics they say a 4mm (divide obj x ocular 42 divide 10 = 4.2 )exit pupil is the biggest a human eye needs.These are handy for scanning wide areas for game. When you find something that catches your eye, then use your spotting scope to get a up close view.

Good otics are exspensive no doubt about it. I invested in a pair of Leica 10x42 Ultravids. Cost was a little more than a good rifle and scope, scope mounts, and sling combined. I justified the cost by three ways 1. I am young (28) and just starting big game hunting so if nothing drastic happens or I don't loose them (sic)[][:@] they should last for lifetime. 2. They can be used on non-hunting trips out west to and around home. 3.I cut back on reloading and sold a couple guns and a spotting scope that were collecting dust.

IMHO decent binos start at around $250.00 I have used Minnolta's before and they were o.k. for the money you are talking about. Wind River is o.k. too. Have not used the Cabelas series yet, but have used one of there scopes it was adequate, not as good as a Leupold.

Money spent on good optics won't be wasted.

without a doubt the Leica 10x42 Ultravid is the most compact 10x42 available. Not the lightest, but the balance is awesome. The ergonomics, thumb rest could be positioned different but it is easy "to get to know these binos"
Old 06-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Fork Horn

bb122. I got a pair of Cabela's Alaskan Guide binos in 10x42 last year. Don't have a pair of Leicas to compare them to but they are very clear and give good visibility in low light despite the relatively low brightness quotient, i.e. 4.
The Alaskan Guide series advertises "European quality at a fraction of the price."

I use a harness rig to attach them to so they don't pull on my neck. Simply pull them up off my chest to use. The harness is elastic.
Regards.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:26 PM

If you don't need waterproof (which you should not on an Arizona hunt), you can get some very very high quality glass at a very reasonable price. Once you need nitrogen filled and waterproof down to 3 meters, you are gonna pay for it. Try eagleoptics.com. Give them a call. These dudes know their glass, and I bet they can hook you up with some fine binos for a good price.

Quick Reply: Minimum optics for Western hunt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.