Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Minimum optics for Western hunt.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:42 AM

Default RE: Minimum optics for Western hunt.

I carry Leupold 12X for elk. Can't go wrong with the name and it's all the power you'll need.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:16 PM

Default RE: Minimum optics for Western hunt.

I have steiner predators 12x40 and love them(@$250 in the sportsmans guide). The key factor is that they have constant focus, no big deal some would say but I hunt in nevada and glass for 6-10 hours each hunting day depending on sunlight hours. Not haveing to refocus each time I change hills or canyons is a godsend after that many hours on the glass. Nikon, leupold, Steiner, are all good, similar priced. I've used em 1st hand. If your considering cheaper glass I wouldnt consider anything but brunton pretty good for the money, none of the cheapies come close.of course you have the big dollar glass which is better, but just like the scopes, does the quality improvement justify the extra money. One thing to remember is that high power glass is very difficult to use for long periods w/o a tripod, my wife can only deal w/ 8x or 10x, I can do 12x, but alot of people cant. Dont buy 15x glass unless you plan on having tripods. No matter what binos you get also be sure to get a set of "bino-buddies" or similar rig. I like the bino-system by crookedhorn outfiters($15 @ wally world). After hiking for 7-14 days w/ binos swinging to and fro you'll regrett not haveing a set.